Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been watching Bo alot lately, he's been sneezing, and he has scab-looking things on him, and yesterday, he had blood around his shoulder... I just don't know what to think of it, they never fight (that I've seen)... at least not draw blood fight, more of a playful wrestle... I'm taking him to the vet soon though, after I find a good one that specializes in small animals... but any ideas of what could be wrong with him, and what I could expect when I take him to the vet for it. (I hope the vet doesn't traumatize him!! :evil: )

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
sounds like lice or mites to me. that's what the scabby bumps sound like anyway. the blood on his shoulder could be from him scratching. the sneezing could be from something new in the environment, stress from the bugs causing a minor flare or her could have secondary infection. is there any sounds when he breathes or just the random sneeze? how often are the sneezes? what color is the discharge from the sneeze?

if you have a good vet they shouldn't traumatize him. they pick him up, massage his chin, neck, shoulders, abdomen rump and play with is arms and ears a bit. they'll listen to his lungs and heart as best they can and listen to what you tell them and ask lots of questions. if they suspect lice its best just to ask for the medication instead of the test as the test can come back quite often as a false negative. they may send you home with baytril (preferably the oral-at least this is what i find the easiest to work with) and possibly oral or injectable ivermectin (get oral if you ca rather the injectable kind as its easier on the rat-no sharps pricking them and making them hurt) or an oral or topical revolution to treat any buggies.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Do the scabs look like this?

This is a classic example of mites. They love the shoulders/neck/face/cheeks and chin. They are microscopic so you won't be able to see them. They also can flare up when a rat is ill...so I would take your rat in to the vet.

Lice can be seen and love to inhabit the back and nearer the tail. They are small but long and cigarshaped.

Both can be treated by Revolution(prescription) or Ivermectin (oral paste is most effective and can be bought without prescription, but there;s a lot of hard work involved with Ivermectin treatments). Take him to the vet and make sure you treat ALL your rats for the buggies.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it would be mites, they're all over around his face and shoulders and stuff, although I can't see the pictures unless you use imageshack.us (thanks dad) xD Well, my moms calling the Vet today because apparently last night he stopped using one of his feet, the poor thing, he still gets around on 3 legs. I don't know how it happened, but he keeps one of his back legs up, and when he tries to scratch, he just... cant'. I've been scratching for him, though, he seems to like it. Thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts