Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've waited for a month or so to post about Taco; didn't want to bring bad mojo from saying anything, but I think we are there now, and I need advice.

Taco is 3 years old, just turned in April from what we know about her. She's had URI since I got her a year ago, and she's done pretty well with her meds and super clean cage and free roam time. Getting out of the cage and exercising a few hours a day makes all the difference for a chronic URI rattie of any age.

I went on vacation for 4 days for Mother's Day, and when I returned last night, Taco was breathing badly. Giggling, honking, very wet breathing. I took her to the bathroom for a steam treatment in the shower and gave her a dose of Baytril. This morning, after breakfast, she was laying in front of the water bottle, drinking in a very weak state. I let her drink for a few minutes, then offered her some cream of wheat but she didn't eat. I brought her out and gave her Baytril and Doxy, with a syringe which she hated. I took her to the shower for another steam treatment for 15 minutes. I kept her in my robe for about an hour afterwards, just listening to her and seeing how bad her breathing was. Pretty bad. She was struggling, very wet, ears were pale, not getting enough oxygen. Eventually I put her back with her friends, where she wanted to be. I gave some cream of wheat, and she ate pretty good...knowing her buddies would eat it if she didn't gobble it up fast enough lol. And yes, there was Phyllis and Waffle, pushing her away so I made sure she got her share.

She's hanging in there, and I'm hoping this evening she will be better, and I can give her another dose of meds.

Saturday, I have an appointment for some other rescues, and if she survives until then, but isn't improving...I think I might consider PTS. It breaks my heart, but listening to a creature struggling to breath, it's just awful. I don't want her to leave this world wheezing and sucking her last breath with her last ounce of strength馃槳

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I haven't been here before, making this decision for a URI and an older rattie.

Registered
If she doesnt improve or gets worse,you will be making the right decision.Its the kindest,thing,to ease her passing.Its so hard if you are not used to doing that,I understand how you feel馃グ馃槩.She has done really well to live with chronic myco for that long,that is a testimonial to your loving care.Rats really do appreciate being looked after,and you never know,she may pick up again.However it plays out,you are doing the best you can for Taco

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your kind words. This morning she wouldn't eat, refused her meds :cry: I couldn't even get her to drink. The vet is out of the office until Friday. I have appointments for some others on Saturday so that's the only time I can take her. I feel so bad right now, she's struggling to breath, looks very stressed. She's lost 50 grams in the last 4 weeks and is weak. I don't know if she can make it to Saturday and I know there's nothing I can do to make it better for her. 馃挃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taco is 2 years 9 months, so not as old as I thought.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taco started eating again to my surprise, just a little cream of wheat. But she is very weak. I've been force-feeding her the meds, Doxy and Baytril, which is very stressful. Her breathing has gotten somewhat better, not struggling as much but still very wet. I believe it's pneumonia. Steam treatments in the shower help. I just want to keep her comfortable until Saturday, and I will have her PTS with our wonderful vet and say goodbye. She is snuggling with her brother Waffle and resting easy for now. It's the best I can do for her now 馃槳
Vertebrate Bat Mammal Felidae Fawn

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm so sorry. We rat people do the best we can.
She is eating like she's hungry! Every couple of hours I give her a small spoonful of cream of wheat with extra butter and brown sugar, and she's holding the spoon like she used to馃挃

"Yer killin' me Smalls!"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I swear, she's like a cat with 9 lives!!!! Even ate some avocado. Now she's out of the hammock, down to the litter box, and cruising around like she's foraging for food. I'm a goddamn miracle worker with this rat!! :giggle:

So, what do I do now? Have her pts while she is looking good and eating like a champ? Or wait for the worst day (like we just had where I thought she wouldn't make it through the night)?

Registered
Oh my goodness...Rat Rally. I'm so sorry for you TT. You are indeed a miracle worker with Taco. Good thoughts coming to you from Walter and RatPappy! If I were in your shoes I'd consider helping her cross the bridge at a better time, rather than wait until she is terribly weak. I'm sorry, it's such a tough decision and one that Rat People must make alone. Love to you and yours!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I watch her slurp the runny cream of wheat from the spoon, holding it with both paws, I can't imagine taking her to her end. I know end of life should be with dignity and without unnecessary pain, but she is alert and happy and eating and even went to the Rattic last night with her friends. Her breathing is good, and I'll stay on top of the situation with meds. We will take it one day at a time.

Taco, my old girl, keep on keeping on, and live your best life. I'll make it the best it can be 馃挄

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If she doesnt improve or gets worse,you will be making the right decision.Its the kindest,thing,to ease her passing.Its so hard if you are not used to doing that,I understand how you feel馃グ馃槩.She has done really well to live with chronic myco for that long,that is a testimonial to your loving care.Rats really do appreciate being looked after,and you never know,she may pick up again.However it plays out,you are doing the best you can for Taco
She improved, is sounding good and eating again. Old girl is stressing me out, but that shouldn't be the reason for pts. We will wait...again.

Registered
As I watch her slurp the runny cream of wheat from the spoon, holding it with both paws, I can't imagine taking her to her end. I know end of life should be with dignity and without unnecessary pain, but she is alert and happy and eating and even went to the Rattic last night with her friends. Her breathing is good, and I'll stay on top of the situation with meds. We will take it one day at a time.

Taco, my old girl, keep on keeping on, and live your best life. I'll make it the best it can be 馃挄
She improved, is sounding good and eating again. Old girl is stressing me out, but that shouldn't be the reason for pts. We will wait...again.
Such a pretty face. We love you Taco!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look at that face @RatPappy ain't she just the cutest? Just now, spoonful of delicious COW (cream of wheat) loaded with butter and brown sugar to put some grams back on her.
Rat Rodent Whiskers Fawn Snout

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taco went to the vet this morning. She is pretty much back to normal and has been put on steroids and antibiotics (again). I have probiotics to help with associated digestive issues. But she's a tough old girl, and looks to be around for bit longer :giggle:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She is looking good! In her luxury 5 star Rat Hotel ,she isnt checking out any time soon馃ぉ馃憤
I think you are right! And her meds are peanut butter flavored, and she LOVES them! Theophylline and Predisone in a syringe and she holds it with both hands and sucks on the end lol.

But seriously, I thought I was gonna bury her on Wednesday she was so bad. Laying next to the water bottle, barely enough strength to reach the end, not eating, breathing so hard and fast, it was just terrible. People say when they stop eating and drinking, you're losing the battle. Well now I know that ain't true :giggle:

Registered
The Gang 馃寛 RIP Cloud 鉂わ笍
I arrived late to this thread, but you truly are a miracle worker, TT! Just more proof that you should never give up hope 鉂
Sending you and Taco good thoughts!

Reactions: Tinytoes
1 - 20 of 27 Posts