Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a week ago, I got a new pair of females. I have one older rat who recently lost her sister so I decided a new pair was the best way to go. They are obviously in separate cages and play time is not together. One of the rats is having her normal "new place" sneezes... Or thats what I hope it is. She had no sneezing at the pet store and I know they took great care of them so I am just waiting it out to see if I have to rush her out to the vet.
But, I'm not sure how my older rat is doing. Yesterday I noticed that she had excess mucus (or whatever its called) on her nose. She has had mucus before, but it seemed a little worse. And tonight she is just so puffy. No mucus is present but I did play with the new rats where she could see and that is when she got really puffy.

Is this anything I should be concerned about or is it just stress from losing her friend then having these new rats around? Nothing seems urgent enough for the vet, but im new to this old rat and new rat system. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Are u doing a quarantine? Whenever you bring new rats home u really should do a proper quarantine. Ideally completely different air space.

I would not trust that the pet store would have healthy rats and there are a number of health issues going around lately that are a cause for concern.

It could be stress related, a URI or something worse. If it is anything worse then fast action is a must! But the only way to know is to visit a vet.

I hope your ratty is fine :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts