Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for some help with my rat Nala. She's 2.5 years old, lots of lumps, stil a relatively perky rat. She's been really skinny for the past month, can't get her to gain weight. Her tumor is starting to die off on the bottom and I've been washing the area and applying ointment every day to keep infection out.

Yesterday she felt very hot, compared to my other rats, and lethargic. I kept her with me for a few hours and she would lie in my hand then suddenly jerk and try to go somewhere before lying still again. She took ensure and I gave her the usual rat dose of Tylenol. She seemed to be drooling some and didn't seem keen on chewing her food. I guess less active drooling and more open mouth.

Today I gave her the next dose of Tylenol, but she didn't lick up more than a few laps and I syringed the rest in her mouth (she licked it up when I'd put the syringe near her face). She seems even more lethargic than yesterday. She won't sleep in her house, but she lies near the door and rests her face on the opening, as though she wants attention. She seems to be drooling a bit less, but her eyes are still half closed and she seems very tired. She'll take water from a syringe but doesn't want anything else. Her tail feels normal rat temperature. When I pet her she moves her nose to sniff me but doesn't do much else.

I am nearly 99% sure she isn't choking, since she hasn't had any choking hazard food and she doesn't seem to be trying to pass anything (she's chocked as a baby before, but that was maybe 4mo ago).

Could she be fighting a bad infection? Or is this just age? I can't find any good info on rat fever, because all I get is rat fever. Either way, any advice? Vet isn't open today, like always.

image.jpg
This is her right now.
(I'm on mobile and messed up the attachments. Darker image is her yesterday.)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
What's the Tylenol for? Too much for too many days can be bad.

Can you give her a quick pat down with a damp cloth, not wet her but cool her down?
Do you have nutrical paste? Soy milk and baby rice cereal mixed with nutrical and warmed up makes a easy soft meal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the Tylenol for? Too much for too many days can be bad.

Can you give her a quick pat down with a damp cloth, not wet her but cool her down?
Do you have nutrical paste? Soy milk and baby rice cereal mixed with nutrical and warmed up makes a easy soft meal.
Pain and fever. I give her the dosage the vet recommended, and only in extremes, like today. I don't think it'll hurt her.

I gave her a pat yesterday, now her feet are starting to feel chilly so I gave her a warm towel to lie under. I don't have any nurtical, but I can run down and get some, thanks. How much should I use?

She's seeming a little more awake and ate some bread mixed with her daily meds, but still acting really lethargic.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Tylenol isn't recommended, ibuprofen is as it is an NSAID.
What Nanashi has said is excellent advice. nutri-cal can be given liberally and I find that when paired with cooked beef liver it's irresistible. It can also be mixed with a bit of baby food.

From what you've described it sounds like she's going in and out of shock. When her temp gets low and she becomes lethargic wrap her in a blanket or towel fresh from the dryer or microwave and syringe liquids in her. Dehydration is a bad thing and it could mean life or death so keep her hydrated.

If she can't eat lab blocks then switch to mushy foods. Baby rice cereal mixed with soy or almond milk, runny oatmeal, a little soy infant formula would help a great deal.
Check her paws, tail tip, gums and ears. If they're bluish she's not getting enough air; if her gums are a pale white then she's anemic. We can walk you through on what to do if she's blue.

Keep us updated on her.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tylenol isn't recommended, ibuprofen is as it is an NSAID.
What Nanashi has said is excellent advice. nutri-cal can be given liberally and I find that when paired with cooked beef liver it's irresistible. It can also be mixed with a bit of baby food.

From what you've described it sounds like she's going in and out of shock. When her temp gets low and she becomes lethargic wrap her in a blanket or towel fresh from the dryer or microwave and syringe liquids in her. Dehydration is a bad thing and it could mean life or death so keep her hydrated.

If she can't eat lab blocks then switch to mushy foods. Baby rice cereal mixed with soy or almond milk, runny oatmeal, a little soy infant formula would help a great deal.
Check her paws, tail tip, gums and ears. If they're bluish she's not getting enough air; if her gums are a pale white then she's anemic. We can walk you through on what to do if she's blue.

Keep us updated on her.
What dosage of ibuprofen should I use? I'll run out and get some nutrical and baby food tomorrow, lets see if that helps. She's nibbling solids (meat, potatoes), but doesn't seem to care much. She's drinking about a cup of ensure mixed with pedialyte today and nibbling some dark chocolate.

Her nose has been very red, possibly a flare up, and she's been keeping her mouth open. I noticed today one of her teeth is shorter than the other, but the longer one doesn't appear to be overgrown. Could this be causing her visible discomfort?
I've also noticed she's been slightly leaning to the left, just by a few degrees. Not entirely certain if I can call it a head tilt or if she's just turning towards sound and smell.

Her feet are slightly pale, but not more so than usual, and her gums look pink. She was weezing and sounding really squeaky earlier today but a 15min sit in a steamy shower helped, I can't hear her breathing now. Let me know what I should do if she becomes paler.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It's hard to say what's happening. A vet will have a better idea. It could be a number of things, like teeth or an infection. It does sound like she's doing a bit better than she was.

As to dosage, it depends on her weight.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to say what's happening. A vet will have a better idea. It could be a number of things, like teeth or an infection. It does sound like she's doing a bit better than she was.

As to dosage, it depends on her weight.
Vet closed on the weekend, calling monday.

She seemed a lot better during the day, but now she's being really sluggish once again. I'm cooling her down and gave her some ibuprofen so hopefully she'll be better by the morning. I'm really scared this is a secondary respiratory infection; I don't have any amoxicillin on hand to give her.

Is it a good idea to crush up a sliver of doxycycline and mix it with some yogurt? I've been adding it to her water, but she hasn't been drinking as much as she should.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Don't mix anything with a rats drinking water. It is a sure fire way to teach a rat to avoid drinking water. It makes it taste funny.

Do you know her weight? Then you can dose the doxy appropriately.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Meds have to be given by weight. OD'ing your rat is a real possibility. Here's a link to med/weight doses:
http://www.ratclub.org/dose.htm

I do not recommend giving her the doxy as you have no idea how much to give. Long term uses of the children's ibuprofen can be dangerous too, so if she's been on it for a good while i wouldn't give her any more till you see your vet.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If her tumour has reached the point of ulceration (open wound on it) then i would seriously think of putting her to sleep. It sounds harsh but there is little you can do to close up the wound and they can easily pick up painful infections. Ultimatly it can be a decision of when her quality of life has dropped too far. From your description at the moment it does sound like she has some sort of infection, the hot / cold can be a fairly advanced symptom. If she has low quality of life anyway then often its kinder to call it a day a bit too soon than risk doing it too late and them suffering. Definitly one to talk to your vet about today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts