Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i need some help.

i have a 2 year old male rat named waffies and he's been through A LOT in the past few months. in december his cage mate passed away and in january he had a large tumor removed from his back. it got infected and he has been back and forth to the vet at least 5 times now. he's been on baytril and now he has an eye cream because his cornea got scratched. waffies is a huge mess.

he was at the vet about 3 days ago. a day after i brought him home he began acting disoriented and strange. i have a critter nation cage and he walked off the top self and i was able to catch him but this is weird. his eyes seem cloudy and it's obvious his breathing is distressed/wet. he has also lost a ton of weight. basically he has gone downhill very fast.

ok, so this is going to be controversial and i'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this but i do not want to take him to the vet to help prolong his life. he is an old man and he HATES the vet. he is already over 2 and i have spent hundreds over the past few months trying to help him and it just doesn't seem to be working. i have given him an amazing rat life and i know that he doesn't want to go back to the vet again.

so my question is there anything i can do to make his last days more enjoyable and comfortable? is there something i can give him for the breathing issues? i've tried putting him in the bathroom with the shower running and i've been giving him dark chocolate chips.
on hand i have 1cc of buprenex (pain killer), terramycin, lavender essential oil, and otc cold meds. will any of those help him?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm so sorry for your impending loss. Does your vet do house calls at all? Some vets do and might be willing to do a home euthanasia if his pain gets too much.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Keep him as comfortable as possible, have plenty of tasty foods on hand for him.. pudding and jello help in the last day or days. Hold him as much as you can and try to not let him be alone. I've been through this a few times and it's always hard, but spending those last days and hours together can be very rewarding too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts