Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest rat, Pastoolio, has always had a bit of an issue when it comes to his weight. Out of all of my boys he's always been on the more lean side. This past year he's been eating a little less, probably due to age, but recently it's just gotten worse. Right now he's finishing his last week's round of antibiotics. I know that some antibiotics do decrease appetite. He's been on amoxy and baytril for almost four weeks now. Since he's an older rat the vet recommended putting him on antibiotics longer, and his respiratory problems are in check. It's just his eating that's an issue.

He does eat. He eats his regular food, and his teeth are fine. There's no odor coming from his mouth either. I thought his eating habits might pick up after his URI was in check, but that hasn't been the case. Right now I'm adding a rat-sized portion of the meat baby foods every night so he can get some extra protein for weight gain. Even his eating habits and other habits when I'm feeding him are a bit off though.

When I'm feeding him usually I have to wave the plate in front of him for him to eat. Once he eats he'll scarf down a few bites, turn around, and act like he's completely forgotten about the food infront of him. This pretty much repeats through the entire feeding session until he licks the plate and all food is gone. It's not that he's full or doesn't like the food. He'll actually rush down the cage ramp when I feed him. The baby food is actually his favorite food. It just seems like he forgets about the food in front of him. If I don't feed him he loses weight really quickly. I cannot go a night without feeding him.

Other odd behaviors that have come up in the past two months is that he gets so excited that he'll run straight of of the cage from the second story without realizing the floor is a few feet down. He'll also run up my arm from the cage and run off my arm without realizing. Everything else is great. He's tumor free, teeth are good, his legs are starting to become a little wobbly, but that's to be expected when he's almost three. He's still active and loves to explore. It's just his eating habit and his weird behavior that's becoming progessively worse.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
You could add some flax seed oil to his baby food. It is very healthy and high in omega-3, will add a little calories to his diet too. Also some avocado will be very appreciated. You could add a little vitamin B12 and vitamin D to his diet as it helps with hind legs weakness/degeneration.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention, all of my boys get Booster daily (it has certain oils and vitamins in it). I've noticed that since I've been using it I've had less of an issue with myco. They also recieve the Gerber baby yogurt drops everyday (1 a day).

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Where do you buy the rat Booster from? I tried a few links but got error messages. I had never heard of it until now. Thanks;)

I have a couple immunity boosting supplements I give them already, but I'm curious to learn more about it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, now I have something new to add to the list of not eating and weird behavior. I woke up to explosive diarrhea everywhere in the cage. Poor Pastoolio. D=

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Do you have any Benebac gel or human probiotics to give him? Maybe some kefir (as it is 99% lactose free)? Was there anything different in his diet? Maybe too much baby food? I had that problem once with my Gribouilli, although not as bad as you...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already tried giving him some probiotics. He has a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but it doesn't look good. His back feet are also turning blue. D=
There's nothing different in his diet. He just started with constant diarrhea this morning. I put him in the hospital carrier and cleaned the cage so I can watch him. At least he's drinking.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Poor Pastoolio:(Is he having difficulty breathing? I wonder what else could cause his feet to turn blue... Somehow oxygen isn't reaching his feet? I wish I knew. Keep us updated. I hope his vet appointment goes well.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dealing with a similar issue right now. My vet told me to put some maple syrup on his gums to keep his blood sugar up. (We live in Vermont, and he's Canadian - go figure.) It's helped a bit since his ears were turning blue-grey. I think the sugar gave him enough energy to help fight it and breath a little better.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try that. He's now bleeding from his rear along with the diarreah. This is such a mess. I hope he makes it through the rest of today.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry you are going through this:( Coconut water is very hydrating. I read it was even better than pedialyte. My Gribouilli wouldn't drink pedialyte, but was ok when I added coconut water to her baby food, or rice puffs so she will get more water in. It has to be pure coconut water and says NEVER from concentrate. I hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I might give everyone an update on Pastoolio. He's going great! His main issue is a digestive issue so he's getting some vegan yogurt mixed into his baby food every night. I'm going to be switching over to Bena Bac soon. (Mainly because no one else in the house eats the yogurt, and I'm afraid that freezing it might kill the good bacteria.) He's going to be on some sort of probiotic for the rest of his life because of his digestive issues. Even when he eats his Oxbow he has issues. I don't mind feeding him probiotics everyday, as long as he remains healthy. =P

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I thought I might give everyone an update on Pastoolio. He's going great! His main issue is a digestive issue so he's getting some vegan yogurt mixed into his baby food every night. I'm going to be switching over to Bena Bac soon. (Mainly because no one else in the house eats the yogurt, and I'm afraid that freezing it might kill the good bacteria.) He's going to be on some sort of probiotic for the rest of his life because of his digestive issues. Even when he eats his Oxbow he has issues. I don't mind feeding him probiotics everyday, as long as he remains healthy. =P
Thanks for the update:) we always love updates, and learn a lot from them too. He will love the Benebac gel, my rats go nuts for it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's awesome. If he has issues with hard foods, you can always heat some water up and turn the Oxbow into a mash.
I don't think he has an issue when it comes to chewing. I think he's just not eating enough. His teeth still look perfectly normal. I figured this out when I put him in the hospital carrier, when this incident occurred. He went into panic mode and immediately started chewing at the bars. He wasn't in there for very long afterwards. Lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts