Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosie is my eldest girl, at around 2 and a half years old now. She's old bless her!
With her old age, she is obviously becoming slower and sleeping more. But one thing I have noticed, is that she seems to be struggling to poop normally. She seems to be straining... Its really hard to describe it, but when she's stopped and going to poop, she brings her whole body forward and sort of stretches her neck out almost? Its really weird.
She takes longer going to the toilet than my other girls and the poops themselves are rather hard, which makes me think she's slightly consipated or something? Other than the pooping problem, she is doing fine considering her age! Eating, drinking and when she is awake and running around, she behaves normally with the others and doesn't isolate herself at all. Its just she seems to have trouble going to the toilet and I was wondering if there is anything I can give her, or do to make her feel more comfortable?

Taking her to the vet is possible, but it wont be until Monday or Wednesday... :/

·
Registered
455 Posts
You could try feeding her some pumpkin, it's a natural laxative.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know where i can get any pumpkin. Its not like they sell it in chopped peices, i'd have to buy a huge pumpkin just to feed a little bit to rosie...

Are there any other foods i could give her does anyone know of any?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Haribo sugerless gummy bears are said to have quite the laxative effect on people but I have no clue how safe it would be for a rat to eat them... ???

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you have canned pumpkin puree in stores around you? That could work. You could also try feeding her coconut or olive oil to loosen her stools. And maybe a grape? In my experience those give my rats diarrhea... Or maybe raisins, or dried plums/prunes?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't find any baby food just containing pumpkin. I did however, find a pumpkin, carrot and chicken baby food. I am giving that a try and see if there are any improvements. How long do you think I should wait for to see if its working or not?
She's had a teaspoon sized scoop, its rather thick baby food as apposed to the squirty pouches that I usually get them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have canned pumpkin puree in stores around you? That could work. You could also try feeding her coconut or olive oil to loosen her stools. And maybe a grape? In my experience those give my rats diarrhea... Or maybe raisins, or dried plums/prunes?
Also got some grapes and raisins, but I havent given her any of these yet :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts