Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, you may have seen my post a couple of month ago about taking Louise to the vet for a URI. The vet told me that Louise was much older than we thought. He guessed she was at least 18 months or older at the time. So Louise is my oldest girl, at almost two years (or potentially older). I have watched her really decline recently. When I first got Louise she was not shy, but didn't want anything to do with me, she grew to love me, and will brux and boggle when I pet her, and she would play until she just couldn't play anymore. Well, around the time Louise got sick I began to notice other things. She's starting to waddle when she walks, she doesn't hold her tail up, she just drags it behind her (not all of the time, but probably 85% of the time). Which Ive been told is a sign of HLD. Louise doesn't like to run around anymore. I'm not sure if she really can. And she her hair is starting to thin out in and in some spots is so thin you can see her skin.

What has really got me worried and sad is her issue with bladder control. Today I went to clean the cage (we are at my parents house for the holidays so they are not in the Critter Nation, they are in a temporary cage. Its big enough for them, but not the size I like or that they like, so I have to clean it more often than the critter nation) I noticed that everywhere Louise had been lounging, she had been peeing. She no longer gets up to go to the litter box to pee or even to another part of the cage. And I let them out on my bed while I finished up the cage and she even peed on my bed. I saw her do it and she looked at me with the saddest face as if to say "Im sorry mom." Shes been doing things like this more and more recently and it makes me so sad.

Is it normal for older rats to start losing control of their bladder this way? Is there anything I can do to help her? I am so worried that her sudden decline means I dont have much time left her. I guess I am just feeling sad because I love her so much and seeing her get older is hurting my heart.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts