Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bean is over 4 months old now, and I'm pretty sure he's a roof rat. I googled the droppings and got this. So, what do ya'll think? Pointy ends, roof rat?

Font Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Wildlife Fur
Font Thumb Metal Pattern Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just weighed The Bean...430 grams at 17 weeks. I tried to measure his tail (roof rat have longer tails) but that didn't happen. His face is so different, wide chubby cheeks, I don't think he looks like a Norway rat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oliver Bean on the left, pics of Rattus rattus on the right. I don't think his ears and eyes are big enough. I'm so confused!

Photograph Facial expression Vertebrate Organ Nature

·
Registered
290 Posts
The poop definitely looks more pointed than round! I don't know much about how else to tell the difference...
I always thought Butter Biscuit had an unusually long tail, but I've never measured it. Can norway rats and roof rats mate successfully?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow TT...I wondered from the start if OB was a roof rat. There were definite physical differences between his comrades and himself. And black and brown rats can't interbreed. Too much genetic variance between the species, evidently.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are roof rats what they call the Black Rat,or is that another rat altogether?
Roof rat, black rat, ship rat, are all Rattus rattus. There are 3 subspecies, with very little variation.

Reactions: SonicRat

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The poop definitely looks more pointed than round! I don't know much about how else to tell the difference...
I always thought Butter Biscuit had an unusually long tail, but I've never measured it. Can norway rats and roof rats mate successfully?
They cannot mate. Rattus Norvicus and Rattus rattus are two different species. Very interesting!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no way to contribute, but please tell The Bean hello from me!
I will tell The Bean hello! He's been getting in trouble lately. Chewed two holes as big as my fist in my leather sofa and pulled foam out in chunks :eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once them critters get a taste for Foam Mining theres no stopping them😲
Foam Miners 🤣 so true!!

We have been discovered as of today. Hubby found a pile of foam pieces behind the sofa. I can't cover for The Bean and Taz-Man any more lol. We are partners in crime

1 - 12 of 12 Posts