Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my worst fears came true today...Ollie's foot got caught,and when I found him,his foot was swollen and bleeding,I couldn't get to him without hurting him more,so I took a wall of his cage off.I think my dad is calling the vet so we can take him in to get it looked at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Let me know how it goes, I'm in the same boat as you but for different reasons.

One of my boys got in a scuffle today and got his front paw bitten which has been bleeding a lot. I can't take him to any vets until the morning, hopefully it would have stopped bleeding by then. He seems OK

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
The bitten rat will be just fine. The rat who had his foot caught is in a bit more trouble. Was his blood flow cut off when he was caught? How long was he caught? Was he able to support his body weight or was he hanging off the foot?

Is the foot swelling up like crazy? Has it stopped bleeding? If its stopped bleeding but is swelling up you can buy Children's Ibuprofen (motrin) and give him some for the pain relief and anti-inflammatory effect.

Tell us more how he carries the foot/leg? Is it pulled into his body and he screams when you touch it, or does he dot it down occasionally while he limps around?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do you have fleece or towels over the wires on the levels in the cage?
That will prevent from feet getting caught in them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he had a house thing mede of cloth,and he bit a bunch or holes into it,and his foot got caut in one,we had to cut the house(I got rid of it just in case).
Its stopped bleeding,he does walk on it,but it looks kinda bad,but the swelling has gone down this morning.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Meghan said:
he had a house thing mede of cloth,and he bit a bunch or holes into it,and his foot got caut in one,we had to cut the house(I got rid of it just in case).
Its stopped bleeding,he does walk on it,but it looks kinda bad,but the swelling has gone down this morning.
Scary as it looks it sounds like a sprain. He should get better in the next few days then. When they swell up badly and the skin is bruised and nasty looking, they put no weight on it at all and cry if its touched or you can tell its very painful, that could be a break. You were lucky! *whew*

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well that is one I wouldn't think of. I have my whole cage lined with fleece, even the stair/ramps, but I never would have thought to watch for holes their cloth toys.
Poor thing. :( Keep us posted on how he's doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts