Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a male rat, probably around 2 or 2.5 years old. His friend passed away a few months ago. I noticed last night that one of his eyes was bulging out. I called the vet and have an appointment on Friday but I was wondering if any of you know what this is?

I can't tell if it is affecting his vision. He doesn't seem to notice my hand near his eye and keeps missing his treats and biting my hand by accident.

Anyway, like I said, I am taking him to the vet but I am very impatient and just want to know if anyone has any ideas on what may be wrong with him.

Thanks!
Miranda

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It is possible that he has a tumor behind his eye causing the bulge. I am pretty sure the news from the vet will not be good :(

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You can get a slight difference in eye size or an infection of the tear duct causing a slight bulge but unfortunately it's more commonly an abcess or tumour behind there. If it's a tumour there's little you can do other than wait for him to seem uncomfortable then pts. If it's an abcess then go for high end dose of antibiotics, ideally amoxycillin or similar as they work relatively well, and give it a good long course. Facial abcesses are not something to mess around with

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dental, ear, and sinus issues can also be a cause of eye problems.

Let us know what the doc says--vibes for your rattie.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an update, basically the vet couldn't tell me much. She said his lungs sounded bad indicating he may have lung disease or a respiratory infection and that is kidney was also enlarged which could just be normal for him or a tumor. She wanted to spend 700 dollars on tests which I just couldn't afford and she said given his age, he probably will live for just a couple months anyway. So I went ahead and got some antibiotics for him so see if it can settle his lungs. In the event that he resists medication or does not get better, I will sadly have to put him down. I should know for sure in a week or so. Thanks for all the advice and support! As sad as it is, I know Stuart has struggled since Toui died and with his age, I just hope I can just keep him comfortable until its his time.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Glad the vet gave you meds; it's really all you can do. And you are doing the right thing.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You could get a urine dip stick test for humans. One that shows protien content, and check his urine. a positive test indicates there may be an issue. Do a couple in a row to get confirmation. If his kidneys are failing you can do quite a bit by looking at his diet. dropping the protien content, feeding regular kidnwy kind wet meals and giving him linseed /flax oil daily. Plus you can give phosphate binders which are a fair alternative to medicine too, though a diuretic can be good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts