Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that might have read my first post about our wee lovie, Riddles, we saved him from a horrible fate as a feeder rat. When speaking to a breeder, she mentioned that, because he was of 'breeder stock' AND he was an Albino, he might not last as long as some others would. (We have an 'order' in, for an adorable little Dumbo hooded fellow who will be coming home to be his friend as soon as he's old enough!)

So, I made an appointment with a local, (and AMAZING rat vet) for a 'wellness' check a week ago and, today was the day! I was a bit nervous (ok, a lot), and had given a lot of thought about how I would feel if we were told that he was sickly, etc. The very idea of losing my new best friend absolutely crushed me.

But, in we went and the vet met Riddles. While he was examining him (weighed him, checked his teeth, eyes, gave his abdomen a good feel and checked for any wee mites/lice), he stayed still and when he was released, scampered right up his arm and gave him a big rat kiss!

The vet (keep in mind he's pretty much Toronto's 'go to' fellow for rat care), told us that he really was one in a million! He said having a baby (he's estimated his age as 6 weeks), that's as relaxed as he is, (LITERALLY, spends all day in my shirt), curious, friendly AND loving, is pretty rare and said we really couldn't have picked a better fuzzie!

Sorry for gushing, but I'm just so darn proud of that little monkey!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats! Feeder rats can make the cutest babies - my sparrow was a little feeder. After a bought with pneumonia and seizures he is still the biggest (and I mean that literally) lovebug after almost 3 years. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds like you're doing an amazing job socializing him. That is so cute! Good job Riddles!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone! And, I know what you're talking about musicalrats, I'm the same with him! Spending obsene amounts of money and time, but loving every minute! And, thanks for the reassurance! (Whew!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts