Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... my three-rat-home is now down to one.

Duncan was euthanized (about a month ago) after he suffered some major neurological damage, and the vet discovered he had over 20 small tumors growing inside his lungs. Black Jack, passed away two days ago. His condition is still a mystery. First he injured both his hind legs, causing minor paralysis. I still don't know how this could have happened, he seemed fine Wednesday morning - but that same night his feet where slightly swollen and he could not walk. He had been in a one layer cage with his brother, Cowboy (I had just cleaned their big cage that morning, and had left it outside to dry, while they hung out on the smaller cage) - the smaller cage has no ramps at all - so I still have a hard time understanding how he injured himself. I took him to the Vet. Thursday morning, and the doc. gave him some type of a steroid shot - which seemed to have made him much better. Ironically, he did not die of his recent problem. The vet had been trying to figure out why Black Jack had been wheezing for the past few weeks. He (the Vet.) insisted BJ's lungs were clear, and there was no sign of it being Myco. I suggested there might be a possibility of it being some type of asthma, but I was really making a guess because he was unable to understand the true nature of the problem. Needless to say, Black Jack died Friday at 6am from breathing problems. I was getting ready to take him to the Vet. as soon as they opened, but he was too week and tired to hold on any longer. It was excruciating.

That leaves me with Cowboy. He seems very healthy... but I feel really sad for him, now that he is all alone. I try to be with him as often as I can... but that has it's limits, and I certainly can't groom him as good as any of his brothers would.

My problem is that there are no breeders here where I live... not as far as I've been able to find. I had actually gotten my three boys from one breeder up in South Carolina - about 3 hours north from where I live in GA. I had gotten a good friend to drive me up and pick them up... but my friend has moved since... and I have no car.

So, I guess my question is... should I be truly concerned for my boy... and if so, does anyone have any ideas of where I could find him a companion? Anyone know of any breeders near Savannah, GA?

Thanks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had already tried google... and came across that same list you linked to. Unfortunately, the list is outdated... most of them stop at 2002. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts