Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought two male rats from a PetCo earlier today, and I'm pretty sure that one is a female. S(he) makes it difficult to check, but the fact that I have to CHECK indicates that he's a she. His/her little brother has visible testicles, and he's obviously younger.

With that said, I'm very hesitant returning her to the store. I was asked by one worker (who picked her up by her TAIL!!!) "what kind of snake do you have?" and when I was checking out, the clerk asked me if I was "keeping them as pets?"

I fear for the fate of this little girl should I bring her back to the store. With that said, I do NOT WANT BABIES! And for all I know, she's already pregnant. I don't know how long she was in the cage with the males.

is it possible she's a boy with um, no testicles?

and if not, now what do I do?

Should I give her up for adoption? How do I do that?

otherwise, I don't have much money. Any place in Atlanta fix rats for cheap?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can you possibly take a picture of the rat from behind with the tail raised? One good way to tell is that girls have nipples and boys do not. If they are indeed boy and girl then she is likely already pregnant. If you wanted to give her up for adoption you could post in the Rats Needing Homes thread, or check around for rat rescues and see if any would be willing to take her or foster her somewhere else with someone who is more comfortable/experienced with rat babies.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You could get a seperate cage for her, keep her in there with one of her little girls and adopt everyone else out (when they reach 4-5 weeks).

Otherwise you could get an e-spay which is like a rat abortion but very costly. It probably is a lot less costly than an extra cage/food/time spent raising the kittens/etc. And with intact girls and boys in the same house you risk them escaping and running into each other again and then her getting pregnant again O_O

Finding a rat rescue to take her would be good, if you can. Or finding someone to adopt her that wants to raise the litter and has previous rat litter experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If they aren't separated yet do it now, you may get lucky.

Pictures could really help. :)

If you can't keep her, look into a rat rescue or no-kill shelter. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forensic said:

Pictures could really help. :)

If you can't keep her, look into a rat rescue or no-kill shelter. :(

I second this. Some times luck is on your side.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had exactly the same problem when I bought my original two "males". The easiest way to tell is the fact that females have 8 little nipples almost like a cat in layout on thier bellies.

I had to reluctantly take the female back to my local pet store and "exchange" for a male, this annoyed me as it was like a faulty product, not an animal, you'd think pet stores would be embarrased by this mistake but they didn't care. I've made sure everyone I know doesn't go to that particular store any more!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quick Advice: 1.) Never listen to anyone at PetCo, they like to run on the assumption that since they work there they know everyone *This is not directed to anyone that actually works at PetCo, just some of the people whom pretend to know everything*

2.) You're going to need two cages for a bit, then you're going to need to have one spade and the other neutered.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haha, just the other day, I was at petco. I was like, you guys don't have any rat-sized cages, do you?, very dissapointed sounding, even though I couldn't buy one. And she's like, "uh, umm... what about that?" and it was some tiny little plastic thing you'd keep a very small hermit crab in XD I laughed and corrected her, and the poor old lady looked like a hurt puppy, being corrected by some kid.

Wouldn't you only have to neuter/spay one of them?

(yush, edited)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Possibly, but you can never be too safe.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Forensic said:
There's no such thing as a "no-kill' shelter. Although they won't euthanize the animals there, they will take them to another shelter that does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts