Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has had problems breathing all summer and just this past week she has not been doing good.She is 2 yrs old--- and not doing well. We have been giving her antibotics and they are almost done. I might have to take her to the vet tommorrow-- if she is not better--- my mom made an appointment for her on Monday--- but I am really worried about her. At first you could hear the wheezing---but we don't hear that anymore but we can hear inside that she is congested--- but all she does is lie around or she likes my lap. Could it help if I turn the shower on and bring her in for a while?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Re: One of the inherited rats isn't doing well. HELP !

That could help, especially if you did it daily. A little chip of dark chocolate may help as well. Sounds like she'll likely require stronger antibiotics. What is she on now?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Shes on Doxycycline and Theophylline .2ml twice daily. I am taking her to the vet--- she is wheezing and we can't let this go. So I have to get going now.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

Doxy on its own is good only for mild respiratory. See if your vet will add baytril to it to fight the flareup?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I took her to the vet on Wednesday and he said the best for us to do was to put her to sleep--- she was having problems breathing. The vet said that she got a virus from her mothers breast milk. We have to watch the other rats since its contagious, but they might not get it. I had to put them in a new cage disinfected it first gave them new dishes, everything---- I hope they don't get it. The problem is now that they won't drink but they will eat. Why won't they drink water? I gave them fresh today cause yesterday I tried it with the vitamins in it--- they wouldn't drink. We have an appointment with the vet on Monday just to have them checked out--- we already know they have been exposed but we just want to get them checked out--- and make sure they are fine--- don't when the last time my sister took them to the vet.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

How are you giving them water? Bottle or bowl? Maybe they don't know how to use a bottle or somesuch?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

They usually drink from the bottle- they know how to drink from it so I am at my wits end as to why they won't drink from it. What could be wrong that they don't drink?

They seem all right--- they are eating--- but whats going on with no drinking?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Are you certain there's no drinking? Not even at night?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I am certain. When I came home last night the water bottle was still full--- not sure whats going on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts