Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my male rats has some scabs on his back/shoulders. I only noticed them yesterday and I think they have gotten worse. My other male rat and all five of my girls are not showing any signs of scabs. I recently started making up a home made rat mix to supplement their oxbow and I am wondering if maybe Thomas is allergic to something in the mix or if I should order medication to start treating all of my rats for mites/lice?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if it does end up being mites or lice can I get puppy/kitten Revolution in the US without going to the vet? Or if I do have to go to the vet to get it do you think he will give me enough to treat all 7 of my rats? I can afford taking in Thomas to get a prescription but I can't afford the $50 exam fee for all 7 of the rats at this time. (To be clear if this was an emergency situation I would take all the rats to the vet but I would be forced to use credit cards and I really don't want to do that for something that might just be mites/lice).

·
Registered
539 Posts
When my rats had mites ( I have 7), I brought in the one that had scabs and said that I'd like to treat all 7 at the same time. My vet asked for their ages and weights and sent me on my way with the appropriate number of doses.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just in case you have a problem with the vet, Ebay sells Revolution, but I have only seen the boxes of three tubes which would work for 7 rats.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both, I decided to order some ivermectin to treat them all because I have heard good things about it from others. My second boy is now showing some scabs on his shoulders and the medicine should be here tomorrow. I am pretty sure I saw some lice in their hair (are they kind of red/brown?) so it looks like its not mites. Does anyone know if rabbits can catch lice from rats? My rabbit lives in the same room and I'm worried she will get them too. None of he girls are showing any signs of having them yet, although I'm sure its just a matter of time. I was also wondering if I should treat my hairless rats for lice too or if they are safe from them because they don't have any hair?

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you are going to order ivermectin Amazon sells a product called Anti-Parasite Spot On that comes in several small animal dosages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts