Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two boys are about six weeks and when I originally picked them up Bentley was the larger of the two and as of a few days ago jasper was 4.15 oz and bentley was 3.65 oz Jasper. Is there any reason to be concerned at one growing so much slower/one growing faster? Is this gap of any significance?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
First, make sure they're both boys! They're getting to the age when you'd start seeing a difference in size between male and female (and also reaching sexual maturity), so you can't be too careful. If they're both males and Jasper doesn't seem ill and is eating and drinking properly then I'd just say all rats are different and there probably isn't anything to worry about.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh they are both definitely males- obvious testicles, no nipples or ladybits. Both eating and drinking fine, no signs of anything wrong. Jasper does have a weird habit of laying somewhere with his eyes open, not even looking at anything, not lethargically... Just like he's spaced out :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Good to know they're definitely both boys! I'd say he's just different then. I've got a male (neutered) who blends in perfectly with his female cage mates; sleek, slim body. I've also had a girl that could rival some of my boys for biggest rat I've ever had. You just never know lol As long as he keeps growing and nothing else seems to be amiss, I'd say there's nothing to worry about. As for the spacing out thing, I think it might just be a boy thing. My girls have two speeds: 90 mph and asleep. My boys also have two speeds: lounge and asleep. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts