Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I decided to say good morning to my rats first thing, probably my first mistake. So I just sat in front of the cage and petted them for a couple minutes, and I put my guy back and shut the door, not noticing that my other boy wasn't in the cage. I then went downstairs for a few minutes, maybe five, and went back up to get my boys breakfast. When I go back up there, Tumbleton is just sitting there on top of his cage, looking at me like 'I think you forgot something dad'.
I'm guessing he was already on top of the cage when I left, he likes to climb up there from the open door. He's perfectly capable of climbing down onto the floor, so I'm not sure why he didn't go for a little adventure, or perhaps he did and went back when he heard me coming, I suppose I'll never know. I guess I'm lucky he didn't go hide in the hall closet or something, I don't think I'll be doing anything with my rats again unless I've had my coffee first. :p

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Rats have a remarkable sense of direction and just about can't ever get lost... So even if they go and explore they will come back on their own sooner or later. No worries.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I'm sure he would come out even if he did wander off, he usually listens when I say 'Tumbleton come here'. But there are some things laying about that I wouldn't want him getting into, we've got ants so there are a couple poison traps sitting around, I don't let the ratties go near those (and even if they did go close to one, I can say 'Where do you think you're going!' and they'll change direction, I'm not sure why because I didn't teach them that.) There's also cleaner in the closet...
I'm terribly forgetful, even after I had two cups of coffee this morning I still tried putting cereal in the refrigerator and milk in the cupboard.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
lol that is cute. Sometimes at night when I am getting ready for bed and just exhausted, I will be puttign the rats away and be like "wait how many rats do I have?" I have to count them all several times because they keep running all around. And some look exactly the same. I am always afraid I will miss one lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yep, I do a rat count every time I shut the doors.

We were seriously considering a fourth rat this weekend. We played with a sweet rat at our local pet store. She seemed bright, and she didn't poop on us at all for the 15-20 minutes that we had her out—unlike all the other rats we pulled out. But she had the exact same coloration as one of our others. That really isn't a determining factor—amount of attention was our biggest concern—but it did make it easier to say no. But honestly, it wouldn't be that hard to count four rats, even if two of them do look alike.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ha. Happened to me once too. I was with the girls, then left to go do something in the next room. A minute later I hear my husband "Um...Marie...there is a rat on top of the cage."

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, I only have two rats, though I am tempted to get another; I saw a rather handsome black berkshire the other day and only the very tip of his tail was pink (very cute hehe), he seemed like a very bright happy boy but he was all alone... I never really thought about counting them, I saw Tumbleton go back in the cage but I guess I didn't see him come back out lol. If Mr.Burrowsworth got left out he'd probably just find somewhere comfy take a nap because he's lazy. :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
:) Once I accidentally left the cage door open and walked out of the room. When I came back in I was greeted by a ratty sitting on the food shelf eating his way through the oatmeal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts