Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bijou opened one of her 7 day old tumor incisions tonight. It's not gaping, and honestly doesn't look bad. But the thing that worries me is that it's still bleeding after a few hours. Just a little constant oozing, very slight dripping. She's just been licking it, no nibbling or anything at the area. The vet said that tumor had a small vein feeding it that she closed in 3 places and didn't think it was possible for her to open the vein even if she had ripped open the incision the night after her surgery. But it's been 7 days now, and it's bleeding, and I can't stop thinking about that vein and if she's losing enough blood to be concerned about! I've tried holding pressure over it and putting cornstarch over to stop the bleeding but it hasn't helped, or would just start bleeding again a few minutes later. Should I be concerned? I can't sleep now, so I keep getting up every 20 minutes or so to check on her.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Are you sure it's blood? Is she blue? Is it still going? Do you have liver?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely is/was blood. I kept pinching it closed with gauze or paper towels. I think its stopped mostly for now, but I've literally been up all night. I called I think all the emergency vets within an hours drive, (at least 12!) and not a single one was willing to see a rat or just glue her closed.. So, I've just been sitting with her all night trying to keep it closed and waiting for when the regular vets open and give them a call. If she stays ok like she is now, I'll just call for advice and hopefully not have to bring her in, but we'll see.

Just out of curiosity, what fluid were you thinking of when you asked if it was blue?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh you said is SHE blue. No thankfully she wasn't at that point. I don't know what I could have possibly done... I was starting to feel panicky when all these places kept turning me down to see her. It felt like she had lost a lot of blood in multiple tissues, gauze, paper towels, and on myself so I was really worried about that. But maybe it just seemed like a lot since she is so little.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I meant her fur color. I think she's white with a black heart spot but I couldn't remember. Blues have clotting problems. Sorry, I should've been more clear.

If you have liver, I would make her some just to be safe with blood loss. I think dark leafy greens can also help. Two things I would check are to see if she is anemic/in shock and her hydration level. Check the temperature and color of her tail and feet (if you can check her gums all the better. They should be a healthy pink) and pinch her skin just between her shoulder blades up - it should flatten immediately.

How big is the incision? If it stops weeping, it may be okay to leave it open. I am double checking my notes but I am fairy certain a saline rinse can help puff up the tissues and reduce the blood flow. You want to make sure that while you are providing pressure or corn starch not to be patting or wiping away the blood but letting it sit.

What I was hoping is that it was more sticky or clear than blood, even if it was colored red. That could indicate that it was some other fluid than blood, such as just the body responding to infection or the wound.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Her fur color is kind of a cool beige (spots) but she is a high white so I know that makes her a bit of a genetic wild card too. The incision itself is only about an inch long. But the part she rips open is near the bottom and is very small. I finally got it to stop the other night, but this morning she's done it again and it was bleeding. A wrap isn't working because it's just above her left leg and she just has to bend down enough and then stretch her leg out and twist slightly to reach it. The only way a wrap would keep her from going at it would be if her knees were extended in like a superman pose and she were wrapped up which isn't possible. The entire opening is very shallow and not at all gaping, it's just slightly open (in fact it was hard to even tell where it had been opened!) but it just wouldn't stop bleeding! I dont know what to do with her! She is next to me in a small cage constantly so I can keep an eye on her. The wrap is seeming to make her miserable and not helping.. And it's definitely a bright rich red blood rather than just seepage unfortunately. It's strange, it seems to clot pretty quickly and dry to a goo, but yet the blood keeps coming despite that.

This morning was easier to stop the bleeding. I put firm pressure and then covered it with liquid bandage. It didn't seem to hold up quite right so there's a couple layers. There was a small bit still bleeding so I put on some cornstarch and more pressure and that seemed to do it. I talked to a vet and they said to just keep doing what I'm doing since it's not gushing blood and isn't gaping or anything, and more gunk on there (like surgical glue) wouldn't help if it's not flappy enough to seal sides together and would just impede healing as well as draw her attention to the area more and maybe make her more persitant to rip it off.

Well I guess it's a good thing I have a kinda bad cold right now so I have an excuse to stay home and watch her.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's very reassuring that the vet isn't too freaked out about it. I think I'd worry most about infection and germs. Hopefully the little bit of bleeding or oozing it's doing is keeping the area fresh and clean. Good luck! I'd love to see an update and she is doing better.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Yeah, the vets I talked to and I just think it's weird that the bleeding doesn't really stop on it's own. Especially since she's had 2 surgeries and there wasn't any problem the surgeon had with bleeding and it seems so shallow and not scary looking at all. It must just be one little vein or something that is being super fussy. I'm not sure if it's just the stuff I've been putting on her cut (the liquid bandaid and corstarch) plus dried blood, but it doesn't look too pretty. I don't think it's infected, but I probably should have put her on antibiotics after her surgery to be safe. Maybe it'll help her now. I talked to the vet about adding it and she said it probably wasn't necessary but wouldn't hurt, so I'll be starting her on clavamox tonight and hopefully that will help!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to jinx my good luck so far, but she's been leaving it alone mostly now! I hope her chewing is over for good until it heals. *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I seemed to have jinxed myself, as she's opened it again! Thanks for the well wishes, But it keeps opening. I think she was ripping out the scabs.The wound itself I think is bigger than the initial surgery incision now. It looks mostly healed and I tried new things tonight to close it, and it seems to be just a tiny itty bitty area that just keeps bleeding.. It's less blood than before, but still just bleeds for a long time, even after holding pressure, cornstarch, water, ice, etc. Frustrating! I may try to get a vet appointment later this week to get real surgical glue put in, but we'll see what happens. : /

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Do you rinse it out when she opens it? It could be that she knows something is wrong an trying to clean an infection out.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have put her on clavamox so that should hopefully prevent infection now that she keeps messing with it. Last night I did clean it all out and tried to wipe away all the dried blood and icky looking bits so now it just looks like a wound rather than a scabby mess. I've also put on antibacterial soap and hydrogen peroxide at different times. My follow up visit with the vet/surgeon isn't for another 2 weeks since she's out of town now unfortunately. (thank goodness she's left her groin incision alone and it's about 90% healed now! That location would have been even more difficult to take care of)

Should I post a picture of her incision area if that might be helpful?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts