Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my daughter wants a rat and i am considering getting this cage. Do y'all think it is a good choice? i know i want something powdercoated which this is. Any thoughts?

Robertsdale Weather Resistant Chinchilla Cage (they say it is good for rats)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi, my daughter wants a rat and i am considering getting this cage. Do y'all think it is a good choice? i know i want something powdercoated which this is. Any thoughts?

Robertsdale Weather Resistant Chinchilla Cage (they say it is good for rats)

If she's looking at getting babies/young rats (best bet) - the bar spacing might be too wide and they will squeeze out between the bars. Also, you might lose small rats in a cage that big (as in not be able to find them).

I'm not sure about the shipping to Canada - but Critter Nation is good. I originally started with a Pervue 528 and then built it up by adding another one to the top.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Heya. First thing's first, be sure to get two or more rats! They're social creatures and don't do well alone. Even lab rats are generally housed in pairs or small groups for this reason.

The size of the linked cage is good but the spacing between the bars is a bit wide. Young rats and even smaller adult females will be able to squeeze between bars spaced 1" apart to escape. You can use zip ties to attach 1/2" hardware cloth to the bars to prevent escapes but you'll want to measure and budget so you know exactly how much it would add to the total cost of the cage. Besides being an added expense, hardware cloth can make cleaning the cage more difficult (and it's a bit ugly). In my opinion, it's usually better to purchase a cage with an appropriate bar spacing to begin with.

I'm not really familiar with what's available in CA but the [Ware Chew-Proof 3 Story cage], the [Prevue 528], [Prevue 484], and [single or double unit Critter Nation] cages are all good cages. You also may be able to find a good price on something used.

I'm a fan of Martin's cages but the shipping prices are already a bit high, even within the US. It probably wouldn't be worth the cost even if they did ship to Canada.

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
The doors are tiny that would be difficult to access, for its price you could get something else thats more suited. The pan is a bit shallow too.
As others said the spacing is a bit wide.

Please make sure you get 2 or more rats, they are social creatures and it is cruel to keep them alone

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes I agree. The doors are very small and it will make cleaning more difficult. I highly recommend the critter nation cages. They ware very well made, have appropriate 1/2 inch bar spacing and the doors fully open the whole front of the cage making cleaning and toy/hide placement very easy. Plus you can start with a single which is good for about 2-4 rats and if you like you can get another level later to add on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts