Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have two pet rats. My cage is a ten gallon on but with a upper extension add on, here is a pic;

Is that big enough for them?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
In my opinion, no. Ten gallon tanks do not allow the necessary depth needed by a rat. Also, even with a topper it still has inadequate ventilation. I would just start all over and get a good cage.

Try measuring the whole thing and putting the measurements in a rat cage calculator. I remember a ten gallon not being large enough for even one rat, so I would guess that whole thing is technically just large enough for one. I wouldn't even put just a lone rat in there though because of the lack of depth. Rats need lots of room to run around and stretch out :)

And that wheel is way too small for that rat too :) So are those tunnels really.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
In a word

no

Poppy pretty much summed up the reply that requires more than one word

Those tubes are too small
That wheel is too small
The space available is too small

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's exactly the set up I used to have for my girls, as long as you play with them and give them extra exercise I don't see what is wrong with putting two rats in that cage.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
as long as you play with them and give them extra exercise I don't see what is wrong with putting two rats in that cage.
The problems:

Lack of ventilation (a tank is a tank is a tank... doesn't matter if there's a mesh top or a topper, the ventilation is still awful *in the tank*, whats on top does not change anything)

Leave of *depth* (which is the problem with most tanks... No matter how *long* they are, they will NEVER be *deep* enough). Adults rats, especially males are about as long as a tank is deep... They can barely turn around. :(

I also agree with the wheel and tubes being way too small. Rats will quickly outgrow hamster tubes (even Syrian hamsters can get too big) and they might get stuck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts