Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there fellow rat lovers.

I have a predicament. One of my rats passed away a week ago and I'm thinking of getting more to keep the remaining one company. There are two free rats with what looks like a double Ferret Nation cage on a local website that I have my eye on. Apparently the person's roommate left them behind and they need a new home before the cold weather sets in. (They're kept in a garage) The problem is that I have always had lots of pets and, although my mom loves animals too, she is always skeptical about getting more. Also, I'm planning on going away for two months in the spring and she has agreed to take care of my pets while I'm gone, so the addition of two more rats will add to her skepticism (Even though that would only be one more rat than we were planning on). My remaining boy is becoming closer to me than he ever was before, but he's only 1 1/2 years old. I'm worried that he will live for much longer than his brother and become lonely.

So, what do you think?

·
Registered
227 Posts
3 rats are no more work than 1, just more fun. The rats should not be keep in a garage, they need interaction with people and rats, I got mine in my living room, there they can seea nd feel all that is going on around them, adopt the 2,,, they will be better for it, and so will you, giving them a forever home

·
Registered
672 Posts
I agree with mouse190. And if anything like me, if I didn't go get them. I would always wonder and worry about them. They don't seem to be in an optimal situation right now. It will be a win-win. Your rat won't be lonely , others rats in a healthier environment. And mom would would have a tiny bit of extra work for two months. ( not too long)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
My guys get kept effectively in half a garage ;) though its a bit nicer than a typical garage as its a room with lights, electricity and water, not to mention, a radiator, painted walls and a floor. Keeping them in a garage in itself isnt a problem, no more than having your own rat room (which is what i've effectively got), as long as you put them time in with them and the enviroment is suitable.

How old are these 2? I'm also asusming they are boys.

Personally i wouldnt want a rat to be kept on its own unless you really have no other option. They can take it very hard and whilst they do clearly enjoy human company we arent rats, so can only help a bit (and we sleep and go out to work etc). So you are right to want to find him company. A group of 3 is actually a nice size, you see a bit more social interaction, and have more warning before you are down to a lone rat so can plan ahead for it more. You do need to do introductions properly (which will depend somewhat on the ages and sexes of the rats involved) but these are useually straightforward if you do them properly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have three rats, and I think it's a good number. We started off with just a pair, but I wanted a third rat as insurance so that no one would be alone when a rat passes (unless I'm unlucky and have simultaneous deaths). My wife was skeptical about getting a third rat, but now we can't imagine having fewer. It's just the right amount of poop to clean, and they can snuggle in groups or apart. If one rat feels antisocial and wants to be alone, the other two can play with each other.

Going from two to three was not that big of a deal. And your mother presumably knows that rats aren't happy by themselves. If you take one from this person, then he's left with a solo rat (in less-than-ideal conditions). It's happier all around if you take both rats. Also, free is good. *thumbs up!*

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was talking things over with my mom and she seemed to be leaning in the 'more rats' direction, but unfortunately (for me, good for them) the two rats have been re-homed, not surprising for such a great deal.

Another question: How would you go about getting out of rats without always being left with one lonely rat? I love them, but at this point in my life, I think it would be better if I didn't always have so many pets to take care of. I was thinking of looking around for an older rat that might not outlive mine. How do you think introductions would go in that case? Is introducing males difficult? My boy was pretty submissive with his brother, so I'm hoping he would welcome an older, no-nonsense male.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Another question: How would you go about getting out of rats without always being left with one lonely rat?
Advice on how to get out of rats probably would warrant its own thread. Of course, the downside to asking on here is that the vast majority of people here haven't given up rats, so we can't give you very many anecdotal responses.

If we come to a realization that we can't handle maintaining the rats anymore, I think I'd rather try to find them new homes rather than let them die out. I wouldn't want to leave a rat by herself just because we didn't want to adopt new rats. Of course, that may be easier said than done. I have a pair of friends who have rats. If my wife and I decide to not add on, we'd probably try to work with these friends to adopt our last rat when the penultimate one dies off. That way we aren't dumping a bunch of rats on them; one is a pretty manageable number. While we're happy with our three, I would not be opposed to taking a friend's solo rat if that ever came up.

I'd prefer not to take the rat to a rescue since it seems like the purpose of going to a rescue is to reduce their inventory rather than add to it, but if it means that my lone baby is hanging out with other rats, I'd consider it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts