Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

I have my two boys Alfie and Eddie and I really am considering getting another rat to add to their little pack. But first I have to put my current two rat's priorities first!

They currently live in a ferplast furet plus (attached photo) and I was wondering if you think there would be enough space for a 3rd? My two boys are quite small at the moment and they're about 4 months old.

When I move into a new flat in the summer I am considering getting a new cage which is similar to a critter nation but a different brand which is easier to buy in the UK. So even if they have a new brother or not, they are still going to have more space! :)

I really do want more rats in the future but at the moment would only potentially have the space for 3. I'd appreciate all your thoughts and experiences on introducing new rats together and if you think I have the space. All feedback is appreciated :)

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm new to rats, only a year into ownership, so take my advice with a grain of salt perhaps.

As is, it looks a little cramped in there for two rats. I know you said you're upgrading, great! But I would also suggest adding more quality space into the cage. They've got lots of toys and plenty of hides and I'm sure they love it! But adding something for them to stand on is what I'm thinking of. A 2$ towel at the dollar store, zip tied in, could act as a nice little ledge. My boy likes to lay on it with his head overhanging. For something a little sturdier, you could buy a roll of fleece, and felt, wrap the fleece around the felt (since it's softer you'd keep it on the outside) and then stitch the two together and zip tie that in. There woudn't be as much sag when they step on it.

In my cage, after a while I just got rid of all the plastic and have towels in there now. I rearange them how I see fit, and change the layout when I clean the cage to keep my rattie with something "new" to explore in.

So with that said, I think you'd be alright with a third rat. If they were to grow fully overnight, they'd probably be a little cramped in this cage, so adding that extra space would be nice (although without actual dimensions, it's hard to say) I'd suggest that when you get your new cage to be sure that you have enough quality space. A large cage means little if there's nothing in it to explore. Ratties love climbing, as I'm sure you know, and a general idea I keep for myself is "clutter is good". Stuff stuff wherever it'll fit and they'll find use for it.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
First off i really wouldnt add just 1, unless you are getting an adult whose already on his own. Young rats do so much better when added in pairs, even though your boys are still young they arent kittens and qill quickly get fed up of a little playmate wanting to ping as they move into there grumpy teenage phase.

The furret isnt a bad cage for up to 4, though it is a bit on the small size. If you can give them lots of extra play time and its only short term its doable. Alternatively you can useually pick up furret pluses or for around £20-30 seocnd hand round here, and newcastle has a lot of rat owners so there will probably be some around, you can make a good tower by removeing the hinged lid bit and cable tieing 2 together. You could also do this with a cerceti which has the same base size and construction. but is lower.

I'm assuming your after an explorer or SRS, both great cages and again if moneys tight they often come up second hand. I also know someone whose selling a happy house second hand in newcastle at the moment, so let me know if your interested in that one and i can put you in touch (the lady selling it also runs a rat rescue...). I may also know someone who will be selling a new style explorer soon (they are very rare, i'm not sure you can buy them yet) if your interested, its abetter in someways than the old one (has some kick trays etc) but a bit more annoying in other ways (no shelf underneath) but as thats been used for about a month so far i expect that will be closeish to full price. We're also not due in newcastle until the 25th April so that would be a while away before it could be got close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts