Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
unless you have a very large rat it might be too loose of a fit

they sell these on a local level at many pet stores, maybe you could visit one & see if a clerk would let you try it on your rat & come out to your car with you so you don't bring the rat in & expose it to any ickies inside

I make harnesses-lead combos for mine. It is basically a figure eight loop at the one end of a good cord (measure out a long piece) & one of those cord ties you find on drawstring items at the center of that figure eight loop. Tie off the end of the cord with a big knot or a nice bead & WAH-LA! fully adjustable harness-with attached lead.

My rats are ok with it but you have to watch them because they can chew through things pretty quite if they set their minds to it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boys wriggle right out of that one. Try somthing more like two loops of string.. I think Petco sells one for igaunas that works all right. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have that exact one and have had no luck with it. First off it's too stressful for both me and my rats just getting it on. Secondly, Oreo, would put Houdini to shame. Once I finally do get it on him he does some shake, shimmy, spin around thing and it comes right off.

Maybe others here have had better luck but not me.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My fat rat is kind of OK with a harness, IF you can get it on, which is hard hard hard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blimey..... all sounds too much of a struggle, i thought they would be useful so the kids could hold the lead while the ratties strole around the tables but sounds like too much hassle...i think ill just get them out one at a time and use good old hands to stop them running off [the ratties that is not the kids!!]
thanks all xx

·
Registered
330 Posts
i never really saw the point in harnesses unless your like taking them for walks like dogs or sumin:S

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you like to take them outside a harness can help keep them near you (instead of under the porch or what-have-you). And if you take them out and about town it means they can't get scared and run off, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i use an ajustible rabbit animal harness for my rats but it is a struggle to get them to wear it and they hate it so i only use it if a realy have to like for letting them run in the grass outside or if im going to be at a strange place with them for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts