Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 8 100.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! this saturday I’m going to go pick up my new girls :]
I’ve reserved one already, because I fell in love with her and wanted to make sure she would still be there, but we’re still undecided if I should take home a total of 2, or 3. I would prefer 3, as I know it can spread out possible stress caused from the other rat, and of course if one died the remaining would not be alone. my mom still thinks two, because she’s worried that the extra rat would cause more smell, and be harder to keep track of them (when I was younger losing rats for a short period of time happened more than it should have, let’s be real).
I totally understand her concerns and want to respect her wishes, but I don’t feel like with proper maintenance a third rat would cause any unmanageable odor, nor should they get lost more frequently. Hopefully I don’t lose track of them ever, I’ve grown since then and will be free roaming them in an inescapable glass shower before I make sure my room is completely rat proofed and there’s no where for them to get stuck. Also I plan on clicker training them which would be incredibly helpful should they ever escape. in summary, is a pair or a trio overall the best option after weighing the pros and cons? is the smell really any worse with three?

︵⁐̤ᕐᐷ ᵗʰᵃⁿᵏˢ ᶦⁿ ᵃᵈᵛᵃⁿᶜᵉ

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,488 Posts
There's nothing wrong with 2 rats, and if it keeps your mom happy, that would be a good thing ;) I like a trio for all the reasons you mentioned, and don't think 3 is that much more smell and cleaning than 2. The dynamics are better, and it would be best to get them all at the same time from the same litter if you can. But the extra vet expenses have to be considered. If your mom is going to be paying for health costs, you have to make sure she will be able to and willing to spend the money for emergency vet bills.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's nothing wrong with 2 rats, and if it keeps your mom happy, that would be a good thing ;) I like a trio for all the reasons you mentioned, and don't think 3 is that much more smell and cleaning than 2. The dynamics are better, and it would be best to get them all at the same time from the same litter if you can. But the extra vet expenses have to be considered. If your mom is going to be paying for health costs, you have to make sure she will be able to and willing to spend the money for emergency vet bills.
absolutely. I haven’t really thought about those emergency vet expenses, so I really appreciate your insight! I have a job and was planning on covering all of the vet bills, and my parents said they could help out if I needed, but the extra rat is definitely something we should talk about from that perspective. Thanks again Tinytoes!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think Tinytoes is spot on.
If having 2 rats means harmony in the home and your mum being really positive about you having rats then go for 2.
And if you can talk with her about the pros and cons of 3 and you both decide that would be OK then go for 3.
Good luck with getting your new girls!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Tinytoes is spot on.
If having 2 rats means harmony in the home and your mum being really positive about you having rats then go for 2.
And if you can talk with her about the pros and cons of 3 and you both decide that would be OK then go for 3.
Good luck with getting your new girls!
for sure. thankfully she’s open minded and easy to talk with and I don’t think she’s super opposed, so we’ll see. I think you guys are completely right, thank you for your input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had all numbers of rats, going from 2 to 5 to 7 to 9 (now 7), and I find that with a busy schedule, having 3+ is better- if you can spend lots of time with them, 2 is definitely a good number! It's not that much a difference between having 2 and 3 so it's really just up to you both!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had all numbers of rats, going from 2 to 5 to 7 to 9 (now 7), and I find that with a busy schedule, having 3+ is better- if you can spend lots of time with them, 2 is definitely a good number! It's not that much a difference between having 2 and 3 so it's really just up to you both!
also, even with 9, I haven't had any permanently escape (left the cage open a few times since I was young, but got all of them back) but it varies between rats! some I've had are WAY more prone to escaping

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have 13, and if one or two escape, they always go back to their Rat Room and play in stuff until I find them :giggle:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have 13, and if one or two escape, they always go back to their Rat Room and play in stuff until I find them :giggle:
And I was informed this morning that I left the bottom cage door open :oops: Two out of seven of my agouti cuties were climbing all over the other cage and causing minor excitement with the boys :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ratsoup
1 - 10 of 10 Posts