Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.. on a rat with a possibly broken or dislocated leg.

One of my rats got his leg injured a week or so ago, he crawled underneath me and got a bit squished, and was limping for a few days after that. He was mostly fine after those few days, you could tell he was sort of uncomfortable still. So I assumed I pulled his muscle or something.
But now I just plopped him into my boyfriend's lap from just a couple inches and he must have landed on it wrong somehow. Now he won't put any weight on it, he holds it tucked up and lets it hang if you pick him up.
Honestly, there is no possible way for me to get him to a vet any time soon, so I'm really looking for ways to make him more comfortable and eleviate any pain.
Feel free to rant on about not having an emergency fund, as I know how annoying and frustrating most of you here find it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
When my little Neera got her foreleg sprained I gave her a rat dose of Motrin to alleviate pain and swelling. I'm not sure if that would be the best for a dislocated/broken leg though? I found most of my information, as well as the dosing, from http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/ibuprofen.php about ibuprofen. Like I said though, I'm not entirely certain if this would be the best medication...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I'm not sure if it's actually dislocated or broken. I can't feel anything different in that leg compared to his other leg, nor can I find any definitive sorr spots. Aside from it hurts him to move it in certain ways, mostly just pushing it up. So I think it might be sprained or something.
But thank you, I'll see if I have a Motrin.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts