Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Abbie has had this orange stuff showing up on his face, i got no clue what it is ... Abbie is a boy - he lives with a boy ... i don't even know if it could be harmful... any guesses? My other rattie is dark colored so i can't even tell if the same thing is happening to him ...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i have only had girl rats, but i think that boy rats make special oils that often turn them orange, although i'm not sure why that would be around his face; called "buck grease" i think. looks like he could honestly just use a little bath, as much as he'll probably hate it. :) your other one is also probably greasy too, so you might as well rinse them both with a mild baby or puppy shampoo. good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Weird. Natural colorings, markings? I think the orange makes your rat look pretty. I wouldn't take her to the vet yet; we'll wait and see. As OnlyOno said, your rar probably needs a bath. If you decide to keep us updated, tell us what the bath did. Did it take the orange stuff off? What does she look like after her bath. Your rat is the prettiest rat I've every saw. No kidding. But he would look much better if he was born as a Dumbo rat. :) It might have been food. Well, keep us posted!

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Is it just on his face? The dark area around one eye?

It looks a lot like the porphyrin rings my Ben gets - perhaps the natural colouring of his fur is making it look a dark orange rather than red? Ben tends to clean his eye well, but ignores the 'ring' a lot of the time. So his eye doesn't look dischargy.

It's another idea to throw into the pot :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ration1802 said:
Is it just on his face? The dark area around one eye?

It looks a lot like the porphyrin rings my Ben gets - perhaps the natural colouring of his fur is making it look a dark orange rather than red? Ben tends to clean his eye well, but ignores the 'ring' a lot of the time. So his eye doesn't look dischargy.

It's another idea to throw into the pot :)
I second this...it kind of looks like it could be that, and he's just cleaned his eye, but not the hair around it..

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
try using a q-tip or the twisted up end of a wash cloth & use some warm plain water & gently clean that area & see if it gone after a proper face wash

·
Registered
261 Posts
Eliza said:
It looks like poryphrin to me. A nice bath would probably clean it off.
I second.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes - he probably does need a bath but he HATES them so i avoid it as much as possible.. yes the orange is mainly around his face .. but i will update after i've given him the dreaded bath !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why not try using some baby wipes to clean his face instead of giving him a bath? Maybe that will help and it'll be less stressful to him?

Deb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts