Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my roommates get sick of me gushing about my ratties so I figured I'd share in here about Rory now that he's pretty settled in here. I've had Orbit for a year and a half now, her cagemate Luna passed away in October so I knew she needed a buddy. Rory is a lovely little (yet still growing) neutered male. I have no idea what his coloring would be called, all I know is that he's not a dumbo like Orbit. He's probably about 4 or 5 months old now and is an odd combination of hyper/skittish/loving. I'm working with him to get him used to being picked up, but it's just so odd since he is very loving and wants to be around me EXCEPT when I try to pick him up and he becomes the wriggliest worm ever. He's also super awkward since he's just a chubby baby, so I have to laugh at his awkwardness when he accidentally tumbles into the food bowl.

Orbit has had a rough time considering that she was mildly aggressive until Luna passed away and she decided that we could be friends. The introductions took about a week and were fairly stressful (and I unknowingly chose the exact time when she was in heat to move him into her cage, so she was pretty miserable - but it stopped her from fighting him and they've been together for almost a month now), so I practically squeal with happiness everytime I see the two of them cuddle together! I am continuously surprised to see how much Orbit has changed since Rory moved in with her! He loves to groom my hands, so now Orbit is trying to copy him (although she doesn't fully understand her jaw strength so it's a precarious situation, but I am in shock that she's trying to imitate him!). Orbit is very independent, and isn't used to sleeping with another rat, so I hear lots of peeps in mild protest from her because Rory's goal has been to cuddle with her ever since he first laid eyes on her. He has learned a lot from her as well, such as how to eat a grape (he watched her eat one before he realized that he could bite through the skin) and how to properly eat a carrot. He follows her around all the time, but when it's nap time he pretty much pushes his way into her space until he can either use her as a mattress or be her pillow.

I'm still learning about him, but I am so glad to have Rory around, and I am absolutely thrilled that he makes Orbit happy! He is the perfect little buddy for her, although at the rate he's growing he'll be challenging her for the Alpha position soon, so he might become King Rory!

Here's Rory in January:
PART_1420651523663_0107151221.jpg
And a few days ago:
20150217_204750.jpg
Here are Orbit and Rory during one of the later stages of the introductions in Rory's cage (that's Nutella on the plate, Orbit tried to hide it before taking a nap in Rory's bed):
20150128_195500.jpg 20150128_191824.jpg
This was a day or two after they moved in together:
20150201_092523.jpg
He barely fits in this igloo (but tries anyway):
20150217_205413.jpg
Checking out the scary floor:
20150127_194320.jpg

I'm looking forward to the many grand adventures we will have together! ;D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Aww! They're both so cute. c:
I'm happy for Orbit that she won't be so lonely anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts