Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a double Critter Nation!

I'm excited, I've had all my boys stuffed into a less than ideal cage, this will be awesome!
I'm looking for suggestions on what goodies to fill it with, I'll have approximately $150 to spend on awesome cage accessories, please give me lots of suggestions!

Also, I'll need to get a new water bottle for my little dudes. I got them a nice big one because there's lots of them and they drink a lot, but their little tongues couldn't push the ball back.:( So if anybody has any suggestions on a good sized water bottle that the average rat could drink out of, I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like the Lixit Flip-Top Valve bottles since they don't leak. but it takes a bit for them to learn how to use one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's awesome!!! I really, really want to buy one but there just isn't space...

Just out of theory though, DCNs have lots of space so there could be room for a small box fort... despite the fact that they get smelly rather fast, the rats love them normally. Also, you can get pieces of driftwood from your backyard or something (make sure its a safe type of wood), bake it or freeze it to kill germs and bugs, and use it for an all natural ladder, chew toy, AND possible perch. Also, I know you don't actually buy those things so here's some toys my boys liked...

-Space pods
- Lava Ledges
-Pipes
-Willow Balls (Nico completely destroyed his in about 2 hours... its not the most substantial but they like them.)

It isn't a huge selection but hopefully it helps. Do you think you could post a picture when its arrived and decorated? :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome!!! I really, really want to buy one but there just isn't space...

Just out of theory though, DCNs have lots of space so there could be room for a small box fort... despite the fact that they get smelly rather fast, the rats love them normally. Also, you can get pieces of driftwood from your backyard or something (make sure its a safe type of wood), bake it or freeze it to kill germs and bugs, and use it for an all natural ladder, chew toy, AND possible perch. Also, I know you don't actually buy those things so here's some toys my boys liked...

-Space pods
- Lava Ledges
-Pipes
-Willow Balls (Nico completely destroyed his in about 2 hours... its not the most substantial but they like them.)

It isn't a huge selection but hopefully it helps. Do you think you could post a picture when its arrived and decorated?
Excellent ideas, and very much appreciated! I didn't even know where to begin so it's definitely helpful.:3

I will definitely post a photo! I don't know when it will get furnished nicely, but I will slowly be getting things as I get the funds. I'm also still debating on whether or not I want to try using fleece again (didn't work out all that well with the current cage), or try to make a way to block the aspen shavings from being knocked all over the floor.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good lord.. I looked that up on the Canadian Amazon site (because I live in Canada), and it's SIXTY BUCKS for the SMALL version! What is wrong with my country?! :expressionless:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, I have a large space pod, two lava ledges, and a tube for them to run around in. I'm having trouble finding a good hammock, though. Is there a hammock anyone could recommend? I'm wanting one that will fit at least a couple of my boys, is nice and soft, and cheap because I'd like to get two of them.

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Those should fit. I have a DFN with 1/2"x1/2" mesh wrapped around it and the nozzle fits in perfectly with a wee bit of wiggling room. It doesn't leak either, so it makes for a great travel bottle too.

·
Registered
870 Posts
A hammock can be as simple as a square piece of fleece tied to the sides of your cage. There are also directions for "no sew hammocks" on the internet like this one: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewhammock.htm. You can also check Etsy and Ebay. Rat rescues and sugar glider suppliers often have them for varying prices. Sewing hammocks takes very little ability, though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I'm trying to put this together. (I'm by myself.) It's a struggle for one person! For those of you with a CN, the rubber piece is supposed to be in there when you insert the bottom side panels, right? I just can't get the pole thingies in with them there no matter how hard I try, is that why they suggest a rubber mallet? Lol

·
Registered
908 Posts
I also suggest the rope perches you can buy for birds.. I get the 36" long one that has the connectors to attach to the cage sides. It can be bent in different directions and is plenty sturdy enough for a rat to climb on. I also have a space pod (although I wish it was bigger) and lots of hammocks and fleece tubes that hang. I give mine cardboard boxes regularly (cereal coke boxes, etc.) and they love them, they just have to be changed out frequently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts