Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took in Otto and Wilbur (orig. named Smokey and Blackie :roll:) almost a month ago just as they were being driven to the reptile store. 18 month boys that hadn't been handled in a long time for Wilbur (amer. blue) and never for Otto (black banded). :( I was hoping to rehome them, but the fact that they are intact boys and I have a ton of girlies who would looove to meet their acquaintence made me very nervous....so now that Wilbur's mild URI has cleared up, they are going in for their neuter tomorrow.

Poor little beggar's travel/vet cage has pink carefresh in it...how Unmanly :roll:

Buh-bye gonads!!

Otto was incredibly nervous and skittish but now dangles nicely :)

And Wilbur acts more like a puppy dog than a mature male...LOL

Wish us luck!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: Need Good Vibes for Otto and Wilbur on Friday :)

Good luck :D Hope everything goes well

·
Registered
482 Posts

Oh good luck boys! Say goodbye to your goolies D:

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

They got dropped off and should be done by noon (It;s 10:30 here right now).

So much for any finger nail growth :roll:

·
Registered
517 Posts

I want to see pics of them without their danglies.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

their testicles start to shrivel up in the first week. Then there's no more torpedoes...but they don't look like girls :)

took forever for me to reach anyone but they are doing fine. The only thing that struck a sour note was the fact that over an hour after he was done, Otto was still sleeping. He must put them under very deeply...

My other vet says they start to wake up as soon as you turn off the gas and I know they both use isoflurane gas.

I will take pics of their incisions day by day so you can see the rate of healing...something to go into my Photobucket Medical - Neuters/Spay folder./ :roll:

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Otto and Wilbur are Home but I am NOT Happy :(

Hmmm...the boys were still rolling drunks 4 hours after surgery...Wilbur doesn't look that good but Otto should recover fine.

I was told that "the black one was hard to handle and that he tried to give the vet a bad bite so he let him go and he ran away around the clinic. A toenail was ripped off in the recovery"

Hmmm...

I have a video uploading, mostly of Wilbur. I need to know if I am just spoiled with Dr. Munn surgeries and this is normal for the average vet.

He uses Isoflurane so is it possible he gave them too much metacam in their injection?

But here are the pics...my poor boyos :(

Have you ever see the back of the tail shaved?

Poor Otto

Poor Wilbur

and the video

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

No successful yet. Otto should be fine but we are all terribly worried about Wilbur. He still may not make it :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It looks like the vet gave them waaaay too much anesthetic and Otto looks better because his surgery was over an hour earlier than Wilburs.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wilbur drank 5 cc's of Ensure in my lap and was falling asleep towards the end of it. He was not flailing or falling like he was, anymore, was much quieter and his eyes looked sleepy more than drugged.

Otto drank more eagerly 7 cc's and was bruxing in my lap and dozing afterwards.

I put Otto back in the cage and realized Wilbur was walking around, wobbly but walking. He was rearing up to poke his nose through the bars and they even went up the 2nd shelf for a bit. Then both settled down for a wobbly grooming of their Ensure faces, a long drink at the waterbottle for Otto, and then Wilbur climbed up the front of the cage to get to the top shelf, where he is now napping in His hammock. *heart*

I am sooo relieved. They are acting the way they should, just many hours later. :(
Thank you all for the advice and kind thoughts, it helped, because we always panic when its one of ours going through a crisis. :roll:

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The boys are fine this morning...no wobbles, bright eyes, still sleepy but normal sleepy now. :D they are acting the way I usually bring them home from Dr. Munn's office. :roll:

Brekkie?

Yummm..mmmpph

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I told Dr. Munn how they were acting and she said it sounds like waaay too much anesthetic. The metacam injection wouldn't have done that. :(

But since they are feeling better, I just pulled them out to have their 24 hour afterwards metacam with a yogie chaser (metacam is blechy tasting)

Now we can start the daily pics of the incisions healing.

Day after...Wilbur

Otto...my nervous little man who was very unsure of handling etc, now settles down on my lap as I stroke him, and happily bruxes and boggles...he makes me melt. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts