Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as much as its apparently common for female ratties to get tumors we gave been lucky and have avoided any tumors for the past 3 years of owning rats but tonight while playing with my girls I noticed brigitta has what appears to be a tumor growing on her abdomen. it's in about the arm pit area of her back right leg. im not sure when it started cause it's small enough that it doesn't stand out without really handling her. I was even playing with her earlier tonight for quite awhile and didn't even notice it. honestly I only noticed it cause I had her picked up so I could do the "rattie phone" trick cause I heard labored breathing and was picking the girls up one by one to see who was doing it. Low and behold that was her too. so she's got labored breathing and a tumor. :( It is squishy almost feels like if I squished it it would pop but I don't think that's a good idea, right? Are the two often related? We've dealt with labored breathing before, we actually lost a rat to what started as labored breathing once so I'm always worried about that but throwing a tumor into the mix is new. This breathing is weird though. In the past, labored breathing in my rats has also come with red eyes and sneezing but she's not doing either. I'm obviously getting her to a vet as soon as they open Monday (her breathing doesn't sound like she needs emergency vet care so I don't want to pay extra for an emergency vet when I think she can wait just the 24 hours). In the meantime what do I do with this tumor? is it likely hurting her should I put like a compress on it or anything? I know nothing about tumors. do you think the breathing is coincidence?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
she may have a tumor and a URI but i would just take her to the vet so you can see what you can do about the tumor if it is one and at the same time check out the breathing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts