Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would guess she is 7 weeks old and in the last week the fur from her head to her shoulders has become a very light grey. It is barely noticeable but I am now certain I am not imagining it. She has had a light grey spot on her forehead since we got her but I thought it was a bare patch instead of a different fur coloration (she is our most nervous girl so I didn't feel it necessary to poke at her head to investigate further).

You can barely see the spot over her right eye in this photo (taken just over a week ago).

And now you can see her new coloring. Would she still be considered a PEW or something else?

She hides nearly the entire time she is in their cage. The other girls come out to visit, sniff, lick and beg for treats. We don't see Faye much. But when I got her out to take the last picture she sat on my shoulder peacefully bruxing for 15 minutes. I would have kept her there all night but I had to come in to work :cry:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm certain she's not a PEW, but I don't know for sure what she is. I would guess she's a hooded, but I'm not sure what her color is classified as. She's a very pretty little girl though! Gotta love those dumbo ears!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm confused as to how she can have pink eyes (although they seem to be getting darker) and at the same time have coloration in her fur.

Is there hypomelanism in rats? Mammals in general? I've only seen it in birds and reptiles.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Happens all the time in rats Angry. I've seen completely grey rats with pink eyes... although I wonder if her eyes are technically ruby?

Then there are siamese and Himalayen who have pink eyes as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
She's pretty, whatever she is. Some kind of hoodie. It's hard to see the coloration on this computer. ^^ The little dear looks almost like a mouse in the first picture... a little mouse with two butts!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Poppyseed and AIAPassion! It's nice to have a label for her color even though I think she's wonderful either way - and such a sweetheart too <3

Sami said:
The little dear looks almost like a mouse in the first picture... a little mouse with two butts!
She was very small when the first pic was taken. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it that Yuuki is standing behind her. I would have preferred a pic where she wasn't in the litter box, but as we all know it can be hard to get these little ones to stand still for a decent photograph :lol:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Angry_J said:
I'm confused as to how she can have pink eyes (although they seem to be getting darker) and at the same time have coloration in her fur.

Is there hypomelanism in rats? Mammals in general? I've only seen it in birds and reptiles.

a pink eyed white can be genetically albino (cc) or a multiple dilute

reference: http://www.afrma.org/ratgenpart1.htm (scroll about half way down)

C–Albino Locus
C causes the dilution of both yellow and black pigment but each is affected differently. There are three known and a forth suspected allele at this locus. Yellow pigment is completely eliminated by the third one, but black pigment shows a more gradual reduction, not being completely eliminated until the fourth allele.
C–Full color (no dilution)
Cch–Chinchilla
ch–Acromelanism (Siamese)
c–Albino (Pink-Eyed White)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the info and link! I love learning about this stuff! I've read a lot about breeding snakes, as I was planning to some years ago. I've never, ever read about mammal genetics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
More photos of her color changing. These were taken last night.

It's happening so quickly! She is our most shy girl, but also the most cuddly. :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts