Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a new SCN on craigslist, I offered $75, and they said yes! They got it for their guinea pigs, but it was too small. I'll be picking it up in the next few days, as soon as I can get my boyfriend and his truck, lol. The baby boys will be so happy!Quick question: can I place the new cage on top of the other SCN? Like if I take off the stand and some how tie them together? I obviously want the boys and girls separate, but want the double critter nation look. I figured the cage should be heavy enough that I can stack it and not have to worry about it falling off. Any ideas or opinions?

·
Registered
335 Posts
No, I don't think that'll work. SCNs have the base and legs built in to the bottom of the cage and they can't be removed. The only way you could do that is if you bought the single add-on unit which doesn't have the legs and is basically the same as the upper level of the DCN.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The legs are not built on and yes you can. You just need to take the top off your current SCN, slide the 4 panels in the slots, and then put the top back on. You'll be left with an extra top and extra parts for a stand

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know the base legs/stand can come off because that's how we got our first one into my boyfriend's truck to get it home, otherwise it wouldn't have fit.

ksaxton, I just took a really good look at our cage (obviously harder to do with Olivia begging for pets and love, lol) and I think you're right. Since the bottom shelf of the cage is attached before the pegs that go down, this should be totally doable. And we have storage at our apartment, so I can just put the extra top into storage in case we need to split the cage again. Now I'm super excited for Saturday when we're picking it up!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The legs are not built on and yes you can. You just need to take the top off your current SCN, slide the 4 panels in the slots, and then put the top back on. You'll be left with an extra top and extra parts for a stand
Huh, I didn't know that. I was looking at my DCN when I wrote that and to me, it looks like the base & legs are not removable. Of course I've already forgotten what all was involved in putting it together so I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The only difference between this and getting the add-on is that the add-on has a floor with a corner notch for the ramp. If they're going to be separate anyway then it should fit together perfectly and look just like a DCN.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm so excited! We're getting a custom set made for the boys and it's going to be Star Wars themed! We chose this fabric: http://www.joann.com/licensed-fleece-star-wars-darth-vader-in-blocks/11220399.html

They will be getting a bunk bed like the girls, and probably a tube and a cube as well. Haven't fully decided. Any tips regarding the types of hammocks boys typically like vs what girls typically like would be appreciated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG we're picking this up tomorrow and I'm so excited! (insert super happy dance here)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got everything set up! The boys side looks bare, but we've ordered their fleece set and it should be here soon. They will have a bunk bed hammock like the girls, a cube hammock, and a tube. All in Darth Vader print, lol. Now I have a problem of whenever I open the girls' cage, they climb up and all over the boys cage. :(

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have the plastic barrier between the levels. So far no contact between them except Penny trying to get Templeton's tale when it was hanging down between the bars. I just have to keep discouraging the girls from climbing all over the top of the cage every time I open the doors to change their water or give morning treats. But I'm not worried about accidental mating. We're definitely making sure everyone is separate. The last thing I need are high white babies... Or any babies at all for that matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts