Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small carpeted bedroom in my apartment and I was thinking of letting my 2 girls loose at night. It'd be nice to give them a break from their cage. But before I do this, I wanted to know any "rat-proofing" that I should be aware of.

There is definitely not enough of a crack anywhere where they can escape. But what else should I watch out for? I'll unplug any and all electrical devices to prevent any electrocution from possible chewings. All my makeup is carefully stored away. To be honest, I'm afraid that they'll just decide to huddle under my bed since is dark and secluded, and I won't be able to get them out.

Any tips / suggestions / cautions?? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you'll need to do something about the carpet. my girls love the opportunity to chew holes through carpet. fortunately for me, my apartment is crappy, and so is the carpet (but my landlord hasnt seen the holes yet...). its not just in the corners either. wherever you have furniture, thats where they'll chew.

if you do decide "bugger the carpet", then leave the cage open, the girls will probably go back to familiar ground. also, put something in front of the door like heavy phone books, in case they decide to chew their way out...

good luck!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Are you saying that you'd let them out in your bedroom while you're asleep? I wouldn't recommend this for a couple of reasons. First, rats should always be supervised while on their run around time because a rat can generally find a way to go missing. They'll find escape routes you probably never even thought of.

Second, there is also the risk of them getting on your bed and you rolling over on one of them.

However if you still want to do it I think crapola gave some good advice. I can't think of anything else to add.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you do that, I would leave their cage open.
I would also make sure that there is no wires or anything they can chew through. If there is a closet in there then I would make sure that they couldn't get underneath it and same for the door going into the room.
And if you have any other pets, make sure they can't find a way to get into the room with your rats.
They could possibly be a tasty treat for a dog or a cat. :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd let them out in the room during the day a few times first, so you can supervise them and make sure they can't get anywhere dangerous, like on top of the bed or anywhere where they can chew things you find important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts