Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a first time rat owner, I'm worried about my little guy overheating in my room. I just have one rat right now. (If everything goes well, I'm getting Gilligan a buddy.) In order to keep him, he has to stay in my room, which is located upstairs in the loft area. Last summer we discovered the our apartment has very poor ventilation. It was at least 85 degrees in my room with the air conditioner running and all ceiling fans going. We even brought in other fans, but nothing helped. My complex said there's nothing they can do either.

I've searched this forum for possible solutions to keep Gilligan cool if he shows signs of overheating. However, I'm working 8am-5pm over the summer, so I won't be there during the day to monitor his health and step in if he gets too hot.

I don't know anyone who would allow him to stay with them during the day in a normal temperature over the summer. I do know a girl who is a recent vet school grad who offered to take him in if it becomes a problem. She already has a rat for him to play with, so that's a plus.

I want to hear a few opinions on what I should do, or if anyone has any advice on preventing overheating.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Yes, 85 degrees is about at the very top of the range a brown rat can survive for any length of time... I usually use 82 or 83 degrees as the absolute max. I use A/C or move my rodents into the basement if I can't get the second floor cool fast enough. Rats drool but don't sweat so fans are of little help. I suppose you could build a small swamp cooler setup around the cage if you are really creative and have the money to spend, but otherwise it's upgrade the A/C or move your rat to safety.

Misting, water trays and cool rocks might help, but if you aren't there to monitor what's going on, you might be severely disappointed when you get home, if they don't work.

Best luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts