Rat Forum banner

Overreacting?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dan203 
#1 ·
So I got two boys yesterday, and though they cuddle often, they play wrestle a lot. I wouldn't be worried, but at night I ended up getting up and checking on them a few times, because one was loudly sqeaking. Not so much a painful sound, but It was loud! They'd stop as soon as I got up like "what noooow?" Then it starts up when I got back in bed. They don't have any injuries when I check them. Do they normally get so loud while wrestling?? They're about 12-13 weeks

#2 ·
Were they together when you got them? It is probably just playing, or them establishing who is the dominant rat. As long as there is no blood or injury, I wouldn't be concerned. My girls were doing this last night. I don't really rush over to check, but I do keep an eye on the play to make sure it stays playful, not mean.

#5 ·
Young boys playing and getting into squabbles can get fairly loud. I would not be too concerned unless you are finding blood or injuries in the morning. Something I find helps the boys with being docile during the night is a long free range play session before bed. It allows them to be rowdy for an hour or so, gives me time to bond with them and they are usually exhausted by the time I put them back. This has been a lifesaver for my boyfriend and I as we keep the cage in our bedroom. I also avoid feeding our lot immediately before bed as they will sometimes steal each others blocks and it can get pretty loud and obnoxious. If they fight but then cuddle up and go to sleep together, chances are that they are just playing. One of my boys Elijah is an especially loud crybaby when it comes to play fighting and will squeak even at the prospect of Finn touching him. Health-wise he is fine, he is just a squeaker.

#6 ·
Okay thanks! I had them both out tonight where one explored and the other played with my hand, but your rat that squeaks just at contact sounds like my Beelzebub when Azazel comes by his favorite hang out spot to get to the food bowl.

#7 ·
Sounds like play. We have one who's a total drama queen. He'll squeak if one of the other boys even bumps into him. As long as there is not blood or loud bangs they're probably just playing and there is nothing to worry about. You'll get use to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.