Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, I have had my two male rats for 6 months and I got them when they were 5 months old, that makes them 11 months which if I'm correct means that they were fully grown 5 months ago so they should stop growing? My two boys just keep gaining weight even though I have tried multiple dieting methods. They are not active at all and I don't know how to get them to be active. They refuse to use a wheel, and when I free roam them they sit still. I tried scatter feeding but they didn't care. Every day they get fresh veggies, and egg (occasionally chicken or rice) and we give them adult oxbow rat food They get about 3/4 quarters of a cup of food a day and that is for both of them. I have a few questions and if anyone can answer any of them please do, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Are rats fully grown at 6 months?
How much food should they get?
How can I get them to be active?
Any more advice?

·
Registered
354 Posts
rats are considered adults at six months, but not necessarily fully grown at that point. I would recommend cutting out the additional proteins your giving, i.e the egg and chicken
Rats should be free fed as they have very fast metabolisms
Male rats are naturally lazy and I have only ever heard them using their wheels on a very very rare occasion, females are much more active

1 - 2 of 2 Posts