Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sylvester has a weight problem. Stanley is getting there. All they eat is HT lab blocks, low protein holistic dog food (which they don't really care for so it's the last to be eaten), and fresh veggies 3 or 4 times a week. (carrots, peas, bell pepper, broccoli). Maybe once a week a small peice of dark chocolate. Sylvester is a pudge! He is getting so fat he is having a hard time getting around. Plus he is starting to having sneezing fits so I'm worried about a URI breakout. I need to get a scale so I can weigh him and get an idea, last time I weighed him at the vet he was 1lb exactly. At the time it wasn't bad but that was like 3 months ago (or more) and he hasn't gotten huge since then. Oi.

Is there something that just makes certain rats get FAT? Sydney is slim and trim, they are brothers. Igor is nice and trim, he eats the same exact thing the others do.... Stanley isn't too bad but he is getting some fat rolls when he sits up on his hunches and drinks or cleans. They haven't had suebee's mix in over 6 months as my old Blizzard (fatty ratty :p) got HUGE while he was on that, and completely ignored his lab blocks.
I'd like Sylvester to slim down a little, hopefully so he can breathe easier, I don't want my babies getting URI episodes.

He doesn't like to play much, he doesn't like to be touched... he reminds me of someone with really sensitive skin, when you pet him he jumps and runs away. He loves to give kisses and licks, but not to be pet or held. He used to looooooove being held and cuddled, but in the past 2 months or so especially he is a very 'leave me alone!" ratty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unfortunately, blocks can make the rat gain weight. My younger rats are on a restricted diet, they get 2 Harlan blocks a day, unlimited Oxbow cause they don't really care for it and their portion of daily fresh veggies. This has allowed my rats to stay very slim and healthy.
Which Harlan are you feeding? I give mine the 2014 with means 14% protein and 3.5% fat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They get the 2014 blocks. I do give them a lot of blocks though... he shares a cage with two others. Maybe I'll just put everyone on a diet! :p They'll LOVE that! ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
jorats said:
they get 2 Harlan blocks a day
Two each or just two? I'm confused, how do you manage to keep them only eating their two blocks? Do you separate them when you feed?

·
Registered
187 Posts
In my cage of 8, I put in 16 blocks, I cut them in small pieces so everyone gets a chance to eat and run back for me. But in the end, there's always some stashed away.
My sister gives each of her rats a block in the morning and a block in the evenings. They also get daily fresh veggies and unlimited Oxbow Regal Rat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts