Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so today while browsing my Facebook news feed, I saw a link to this article which talks about the damage that GMO products can cause on animals (there are some slightly graphic pictures in this so be warned). :(

Now, I've known that Oxbow has GMO soy and canola. I've been looking around, trying to figure out what I want to start feeding my girls because I'd rather not be feeding them something with GMO ingredients. But now I'm going to be searching faster because this article made me think more about the harm that it could be doing to my rats.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this article and ask for advice as far as feeding your rats dog food. When mine were young and still growing I fed them Solid Gold Holistique Blendz dog food, but then switched to Oxbow adult rat food once they were fully grown.

So! If you feed your rats dog food as a staple, how do you feed it to them? How much? What brand? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I dont think you can only use dog food as a main staple. As a protein source sure. It has to be at 18% for ages 5-12 weeks and 14-16% for 12+ weeks of age. I think you can google home mixes that are soy free and wheat free and whatever else is currently bad for rats as it changes daily -.- I also believe cagebirdsinging has a mix you can order from her. Me? I will stick with oxbow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think you can only use dog food as a main staple.
I forgot to mention I also have a seed and grain mix that I feed them every night; I know just dog food wouldn't be nutritionally good for them. c: I know of someone who feeds a bit of the dog food (the dog food makes up about 1/5th of the whole mix) in with a seed and grain mix they make but I dunno I'd want other opinions as well before I just go and make a mix with it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As a person living in the US (where GMO is not labeled) and not on a gluten free diet I know I eat plenty of GMO and so do my rats--whether they are eating their food or mine. I read all those studies a few years ago about GMO potatoes killing rats and so forth. They guy fed rats only raw potatoes and many in both experimental and control groups died of malnutrition. I have looked at the research intermittently since and still see nothing that concerns me in terms of eating GMO (although I do feel it is a risk to the environment and global food security) . So, this is not something that bothers me personally. Other people might see it differently.

If you choose to avoid GMO keep in mind that most soy in the US will be co-mingled with GMO beans. They are not required to declare GMO on the labels. So those that assert no GMO will not be GMO, those who say nothing probably include some GMO if they include soy or corn because 85%+ of the US production is GMO right now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a person living in the US (where GMO is not labeled) and not on a gluten free diet I know I eat plenty of GMO and so do my rats--whether they are eating their food or mine. I read all those studies a few years ago about GMO potatoes killing rats and so forth. They guy fed rats only raw potatoes and many in both experimental and control groups died of malnutrition. I have looked at the research intermittently since and still see nothing that concerns me in terms of eating GMO (although I do feel it is a risk to the environment and global food security) . So, this is not something that bothers me personally. Other people might see it differently.
That's my view on GMO as well - the studies haven't really shown anything useful because of how they've been carried out. Perhaps there are some that were carried out well and we never heard about them on the news because the results were boring. At any rate, the state of things right now the anti-GMO movement is strong. There's a push for natural ingredients in our food like arsenic (not really arsenic).

As far as Solid Gold Holistique Blendz dog food, I know some on the forum feed it and like it as a rat food. The opposing view is well written by Sorraia (as quoted by Jaguar) here: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?48381-What-brand-of-food&p=408926&viewfull=1#post408926. Basically, is the mineral/vitamin content appropriate for a rat or is it only the protein percentage that is okay?

·
Registered
503 Posts
...One google of the site that article was apparently pulled from (NaturalNews) shows that website is dedicated to alternative medicine, anti-vaccine, anti-flouride...

I don't think it's very reliable, to be honest :/ The alternative medicine part isn't bad (depending on your views on it, though, it might be)... but the "vaccines cause autism" thing is pretty much when I exit a website.

Looking at their "Massive Vaccine cover-up" story... they site to their own website's articles on: MMR Vaccine, autism, and their own page on vaccines. They even link their OWN website in the sources for the article!

I wouldn't trust a website like that, TBH.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. I think I may just stay with Oxbow. I didn't even think to check that websites sources or anything (stupid me; I usually do). I suppose, after reading the quote you provided, inod3, I'll be okay with Oxbow until perhaps one day they will go GMO free.

Yeah, generally once people start talking about how vaccines cause autism is where I stop listening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts