Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently feeding my girls Oxbow Essentials Young Rat and Mouse Food. They seem okay with it (they tolerate it, but they don't enjoy it as much as the knock-off fiesta mix). I'm beginning to have problems with them soiling their entire cage bottom with it. It's sort of a combination of their peeing and pooping everywhere and the Oxbow creating a bunch of dust. No matter how often I clean it, within minutes the girls rip through the food and turn it into this sawdust looking stuff that coats the bottom of the cage. They then pee on it, and it becomes a sludgy mess that is very difficult to clean. I know I'm not going to stop this, because it's just them eating - not a health or behavioral issue. Does anyone have this same problem? Is it the same with the adult formula? Is there any way I can make this less messy? My girls are about 10-12ish weeks old...is it okay to switch to the adult food yet, especially if it doesn't make as big of a mess????

·
Registered
189 Posts
What do they have on the bottom of the cage? If its fleece or something similar, vacuum it up, very effective.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The adult food is for rats 4+ months, so you'll have to wait on that. The regal rat food does seem to clean up a lot easier and doesn't leave crumbs as much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have 2 new little girls in with a 7 month old rat and they're on adult food. 3ish times a week we just give the little girls extra protein to make up for the lack of baby food. So if it's that frustrating (which I get, that stuff IS a mess!), go for it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts