Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like my paranoia is getting a little out of hand lately. I'm skeptical of anything anyone gives me and wash my hands if anyone that I don't know touches me. Even here, I'll get halfway through writing a post and then delete it because I'm afraid the person(s) I'm talking about might see it and retaliate. I mean, what are the chances...I know it's irrational...but I keep doing it. Does anyone else experience this or have suggestions? I've always been a little paranoid, but lately I've been less and less able to talk some sense into myself.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can definitely relate about the being touched thing. When my paranoia is especially bad I have to carry around a bottle of hand sanatizer. Even when i'm less paranoid I still can't eat food that some one else has touched or made for me because I fear that they've put something in it. Cameras are my worst enemy. I haven't let anyone take my picture for about 5 or 6 years now for fear that they'll do something bad with it. Even though I know they aren't there and that i'm being irrational, I still have to check every room I enter for cameras (bathrooms, dressing rooms, my own bed room). Just a couple days ago I was convinced that the people in the dorm next to mine were laughing at me for some unknown reason. Do you have a lot of anxiety? My paranoia tends to elevate whenever my stress/anxiety elevates. Just try to keep reminding yourself that what you're experiencing isn't real. It's just your brain playing tricks on you. Maybe if it becomes too much to handle you could try and reach out to a therapist or someone else?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I find that if something is getting to the point where it is greatly affecting your life, you should seek out help from a professional. There is no shame in that. I cannot say that I have experienced something along the lines of what you are describing but I do have irrational fears. I will often wake up in the middle of the night because I suspect someone is in my room, watching me sleep or that my door is open and I have to check - sometimes multiple times a night. When I am staying with my partner, those feelings just go away. My anxieties peak when I am alone so it helps having somebody I trust around.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately I have bi polar disorder, there are times I feel like I see someone out of the corner of my eye and my mind jumps immediately to "they're going to hurt me" and then no one is even there. I talked to my doctor and got an increase in meds, really helped. But I do have just general anxiety and I've felt like what you are talking about before. I agree talking to somebody might help you, it has always helped me when I feel like something's wrong :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts