Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two baby girls from my accidental litter that have patchy fur on both sides of their neck. It makes me think they may be itching too hard or too much. I'm not sure if that's it though. I haven't checked them all yet so I only know of these two that have it. The boys from the same litter don't have any of this patchy fur. And I thought maybe they could be double rex but 1 - I thought that you get those from breeding rex and rex and this litter is not from rex and rex and 2 - I didn't think that double rex could molt(?) into it... So I guess my question is what is this patchiness?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It may be mites? Check and see if there's any scabbing, if there is, it's probably mites. It's always hard to tell since you can't actually see mites but it's easy to treat for. I also know that it's not particularly safe to treat babies for mites since they're so young.

http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/ivermectin.php You can get this stuff at tractor supply co. it's called Ivercare. You can also get advantage/revolution from the vet. Frontline will also work but can be toxic if ingested. But once again, I don't really know how safe it is to treat babies under 5 weeks old for mites.

It also could just be grooming gone too far, sometimes cagemates will groom each other aggressively and cause spots like you're describing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, okay. Well I have Revolution for kittens. Will that work/ be safe for like almost 2 month olds that might have mites?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
How old are they and do they have curley fur / whiskers?

Rexes are prone to going entirely or patchily bald at there first adult moult (normally 6-8 weeks old). If so I wouldn't treat them for mites as its a bit more risky with the very young, unless you know they need it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, some are rex, and they are about 7 weeks or so now. But I'm beginning to think they are poor rex since their fur is straightening out. They had curls before and now it's just like "where'd the rex go?". lol But if that's the case with rexes I most likely won't treat them for mites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts