Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the rat food list says peanut butter should not be given to rats but I was wondering about peanut brittle which is like a solidified peanut butter. My boyfriend fed a little bit to our girl Hope and she LOVED it. I told him to hold off on giving anymore to her for now until I found out for sure. I looked it up but there is nothing about it. Maybe someone on here has some knowledge about it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The reason it is recommended not to feed peanut butter is because it is so sticky and a large bit could be caught in a rat's throat and cause choking. Rats love peanut butter, though, so I spread a bit thinly over a plastic spoon and give it to them that way. Peanuts and peanut butter are high in fat and should be fed seldom if at all. Peanut brittle is very high in sugar so it shouldn't be given very often if at all either, but it probably won't hurt them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You can also mix peanut butter with water to thin it out and it should be fine. But only if it's REAL peanut butter that's made with just peanuts and salt only (I always thought Laura Scudder's brand was tasty). Things like Jif and Skippy are just peanut spreads that are filled with sugars and other oils and really aren't healthy or should be given to pets.

Peanut brittle is candy and is almost entirely sugar. High doses of sugar for rats can cause seizures and death among other issues. But if its just a teensy bit, it's totally fine. Maybe just give them a piece no bigger than a little ratty's ear and that's a totally acceptable and generous amount of sugary treat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your two responses guys. Thank you. I won't be giving it to them, although this was more or less a question to show my boyfriend that he shouldn't be careless when feeding anything to our fur babies. lol He seems to think just cause the rat likes it, it must be good for them. And as it is just candy, it seems wise to steer clear of it. I'd rather not let them get used to too many sugary treats. Otherwise I'd be afraid they will stop eating their Oxbow. xD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts