Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My big rattie somehow got a hold of a hard plastic whiffle ball this weekend while I was gone and chewed up about half of it. This is the day after, and hes acting completely normal.

Me and my mom (a nurse) both felt his tummy and nothing felt different from the previous week. We achieved nothing but learning Mr. Peebles likes having his tummy rubbed...

I wont be able to reach a competent vet for about two weeks, is there anything I can do, or should I even be worried?

Right now he's spread eagle on a heating pad I set up so he'd be most comfortable....HELP!!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert, but I've read on here that rats actually have muscle flaps on the sides of their throat, so they don't swallow things besides food, since they're made to chew on things to keep their teeth down. So he probably didn't actually eat it, just chewed it up.

I don't think you should really worry, but I'd wait for someone with some more experience before deciding whether you should take him into the vet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
I've heard that too and- ew, he just peed on me...-its just that I searched his cage but could'nt even find a scrap...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah...I'm not really sure what they do with the pieces. I've never really read a straight answer about that one. Someone did say that maybe they just stash them somewhere...but I'm not sure. Sorry..:/

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought my little Dust was eating her wooden puzzle ball, because I couldn't find scraps anywhere either... and I was watching her chew on it, so I know for a fact she's not just taking the scraps away and storing them.

I was worried too, but someone here who has 35 rats explained that they can't find any scraps from what their rats chew on either. It must be normal to not be able to find any scraps.

What they do with the scraps is a mystery.. maybe they just gnaw into bits so small that we can't see them without a magnifying glass or something. I know my Dust isn't hording anything, so all I can do is assume rats have magical powers that they use to make things vanish into thin air. :?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sami - I don't *have* 35 rats, I said there are around 35 here at any given time at Rattie Love Rescue. ;) Big difference! I have 11, myself. :lol:

But yes, chewing on plastic - and anything else - is normal. It's a big mystery as to what happens to everything. But no concern.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've had a number of things chewed and disappeared, but no casualties yet! Oh rats, you silly billies.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Let us know if your rattie is ok
Jess x

·
Registered
323 Posts
He will probobaly be fine, don't worry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts