Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boy zeek is peeing so much like everytime im near the cage i see him pee on stuff he even peed on jack (by mistake) but its getting hard to keep there cage clean coz its always smelling of pee ...what can i do ? does he have a problem?

=O and today i gave zeek a bath and he had blood on his face was probly like a drop that go wet and spread but i dont know why he was bleeding there was no marks on eaither of the boys

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
are you sure the blood wasnt poryphyn? (or poryphin, however its spelt :roll:) and about the peeing could he have a bladder infection or possibly scent marking? dont know what to tell ya

·
Registered
393 Posts
Rats, especially boy rats, scent mark. In fact, it's very unlikely that peeing on his cagemate was an accident. As for the blood you saw, I too think it was more likely porphyrin. Here's some more information on porphyrin: http://www.ratbehavior.org/porphyrin.htm

·
Registered
730 Posts
The 'blood' was probably pophyrin from his nose. HAs he had any breathing issues? Sneezing or rattling? You'll want to keep an eye on that. Myco flair ups can be quite nasty and life threatening. If you have any doubts bring him to your vet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I should add that the sudden presence of porphyrin during the bath was very likely because he was stressed at the time. But as reachthestars said, if there are any other worrisome symptoms you'll definitely want to get him to a vet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
maybe it is something in his diet (i know it is probably him marking his territory but i want to make an alternative) like maybe something he is allergic to because i used to feed my rats lettuce it was fine and all but then my 2 rats started getting wet tail so i stopped

·
Registered
393 Posts
ratrover said:
maybe it is something in his diet (i know it is probably him marking his territory but i want to make an alternative) like maybe something he is allergic to because i used to feed my rats lettuce it was fine and all but then my 2 rats started getting wet tail so i stopped

Rats cannot get wet tail, it is a disease in hamsters and not related to food at all. Romaine lettuce is fine and has a lot of nutrition to it but iceburg lettuce has a very high water content which can easily result in diarrhea, plus it has very little nutritional content. Of course, too much of any fresh foods can also result in diarrhea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts