Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section (please feel free to move if I'm not), but the 2 rats I'm adopting have a habit of peeing on people when they're being held. They displayed this when I went to visit them on Friday to pay my adoption fees lol. Is this a territory thing (like cats who spray) or just unintentional due to being excited and or having to pee? They're about 3 months old (still at the shelter until I move in Nov). The friendlier one of the two (I think he might be an albino, but his eyes are darker red than the pictures I've seen on google) is more prone to this than his brother (who would rather stay in his cage and play hide and seek until he sees his brother getting treats).

Is this something they will grow out of? I don't believe either male is neutered. TIA

·
Registered
941 Posts
Could be them marking you as their territory, it's possible that it's nervousness but rats tend to poo when they're nervous, none of mine have ever peed for that reason. In my experience, it's probably not them just having to pee, mine rarely pee on me unless they're marking. If they just have to pee, I would expect there would be more pee than if they were marking. I find that they tend to walk and dribble when they're markinf.
Either way.. so totally normal, especially for boys. Lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does neutering change that at all do you know? Also that's exactly what he did! He was walking down my shoulder and peed a bit as he walked. I expected it to smell nasty (like cat or dog pee does) but it smelled kind of fruity and wasn't at all noticeable. Lol little bugger

·
Registered
953 Posts
Rats use urine to mark things. Not necessarily a territorial sort of thing, think of it more as another language-mark this for where there is good safe food, this is where my beloved owner is, this is where we like to sleep..ect. Wild rats would do it on their bedding so that when the plant material breaks down it makes heat for the winter. Girls can leave marks saying hey it's that time for me to get preggo, comeon boys. :)

So, it's kinda gross to us-but it's rather important to them. some mark more than others. Some unfixed boys mark more than unfixed-but it depends on what their are trying to communicate to each other and themselves. I think most of us are just used to washing up after playing with them. Probably nice to to toss an old blanket down or something on things you don't want getting peed on. Like I sit with them on my bed often watching movies and we just use an old comforter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts