Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a baby recently. And I was just am wondering is it normal for them to pee everywhere? She leaves like just little dots of pee on me when I brong her out and I'm not all to thrilled by it I have to say.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
How old is she? Babies often are not good at holding it.

Some rats (even females) will mark (pee) on everything and everyone. It is not that common IMO but it does happen.
When rats are nervous or scared they tend to potty alot. If you just got her she may jsut need time to adjust to you.

Most female rats will not potty on you from my experience. And some boys will just mark some what.

I suggest having a blanket down and a towel nearby

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
My females are intact and even though they never peed on me or even outside their cage, they still leave tiny marking pee drops. My neutered male never marked pee anywhere- the neuter often stop that behavior entirely or at least decreases it considerably. I'm assuming (never researched it though) that spaying females would decrease that behavior too. Rats pee mark to advertise their age, mood, sexual availability...it is pretty much a language of itself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My intact males mark all over the place. Andy loves peeing on my arms and hands. I notice both of them will mark whenever they drag their butt a across something different (like if I have my phone on the couch and they walk over it they will mark the phone because its a different material). It's quite annoying sometimes... but for the most part, it's such a small amount that it doesn't smell or require a change of clothes. I've bought resolve to help with some of the larger puddles they've created. Often times the wet spots on furniture go away before I can even get the resolve out to clean it. However, their pee usually leaves white marks which clean right up with some antibacterial wipes or a wet paper towel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts