Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Bear neutered on Monday in hopes to lighten his aggression. He has been doing great in healing and leaving it alone. But today as I was checking on him I noticed that he was cleaning himself a lot down there so I picked him up to see how he was doing. The wound still looks clean and healing well but his penis is exposed and won't go back to normal. This is my first neuter and I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It's called paraphimosis, and the internal swelling from the swelling is pushing his penis out. Do you have metacam at home or infant liquid ibuprofen?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
The oil will keep it moist IF you see it drying out. Water-based products are better like KY jelly.You need to reduce the swelling, so if they didn't give you Metacam post neuter or you don't have any left, you need to pick up INFANT liquid ibuprofen. Advil grape-flavored, dye-free is one rats seem to like.You need to dose at 20 mg/kg (I can help you with a dose if you can give me an approximate weight), and this will help with swelling so the penis can go back in the body.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the infant advil. No metacam. I gave him some about 2 hours ago. I looked up the dose so I don't need help with that. The swelling hasn't gone down at all. I am currently putting an ice pack on it right now. It seems to be helping a little. I just need to know what kind of olive oil is best. I don't have any other type of lubricant.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Petroleum jelly? If not use any olive oil.You can even sprinkle sugar on him as that is an old method to bring down swollen tissue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How often can I give him the Advil? The olive oil seemed to help a little. It was getting a bit dry. I think he has been keeping it moist for the most part. Will try the sugar next. At what point should I take him to the vet? It doesn't seem infected or anything...

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
How often can I give him the Advil? The olive oil seemed to help a little. It was getting a bit dry. I think he has been keeping it moist for the most part. Will try the sugar next. At what point should I take him to the vet? It doesn't seem infected or anything...
Give him the Advil every 4-6 hours if you can.

How much are you giving him? Just to make sure, a 300 gram rat should be 0.15 ml, a 350 gram rat should get 0.2 ml, and so on.

Here's a post I did on my first case (seen a few since then :p)..see if there's any tips you can glean from it.

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3491&highlight=goliath+paraphimosis

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all your advice. I don't know his exact weight but I think he is in the 350 to 400 range. I really need to get a scale. I will try the sugar tonight when I get home from work. Will also pick up some ky or petroleum jelly too... Sigh... I'm sure he is uncomfortable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts