Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat had a golf ball sized tumor removed this week (this was his second tumor removal surgery). He is not doing well. The first night he was wheezing and mouth breathing and for some reason both of his top teeth fell out and he is salivating.

I noticed a penis prolapse today and am sure it is from the post op swelling. Through reading it has been advised to:

- use warm compresses
- use cold compresses
- apply a lubricant such as oilve (which I do have) oil or KY Jelly (which I don't have)
- administer ibuprofen to reduce swelling
- apply a cortisone cream on the penis area

My rat is doing horribly and is eating mashed food like an old man. He is 25 months old and has been on bupenorphine and amoxicillin since Tuesday (today is Friday).

My rat just looks...bleh. Which of the above information regarding penis prolapse is correct? I'd like to get his weeny in where it belongs and not have him suffer more than he is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is really important--Is he urinating? If he's urinating still, then it isn't as critical. Try to keep him from licking it, though, as it can irritate it more and cause it to swell.

I used cold compresses, and the vet gave me meds to reduce the swelling. I also used olive oil after the compress (and gloves, cause he did NOT like that) and tried to work the penis gently back into the sheath. This worked for a bit, but I think it was the compresses and the meds that helped more. Careful with the cold compresses, remember how bad they feel for people and then think of where and why you're applying it. *wince* You don't want to end up with cold damage. I would try for ten seconds on, then a break, then ten seconds on again for about half an hour.

The tooth thing is worrying, though.
What does your vet say?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet was called regarding my rat's penis issue and the vet tech took notes and said they'd call back if they had any advice. I did not mention the fact his two top teeth are missing.

I am going to do the cold compress and olive oil treatment and then put an e-collar on my rat so he doesn't lick the oil off. My rat is on infant ibuprofen to help with swelling.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Cold compress, olive oil and a bit of wiggling to get it back in there. You may have to do it more than once.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oh, I hope he's okay! I had two rats with this, one I managed to save and the other passed away. : (

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh, I hope he's okay! I had two rats with this, one I managed to save and the other passed away. : (
I finally placed my boy on cold packs and tried to keep his bits on it. He seemed to be okay with it as there was a towel between him and the cold pack. He was given infant ibuprofen as well and lubed up several times a day with mixtures of different oils and sugar. I even tried to place a bandaid over his penis loosley so the lube could stay in its place and it was pulled off.

It is such a stressful situation to try help a pet and feel like the treatments aren't working. Not only do the rats need to be medicated but so do I to calm me down. Rat ownership is bitter sweet and I wouldn't change the time I had with each for anything. They give us beautiful memories.

Oh...my rat's teeth are growing back. Hopefully when they have grown in fully his incision will be healed since he has not been able to pull his stitches out and I was not going to get him rattie dentures.

My rat looks sickly and rests a lot, but he is still eating, pooping and breathing normally. My rat like yours may pass away, but at least I'll be able to look back and know I did everything to help him which is a good feeling and hopefully you feel the same way.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is good news about the teeth growing back, and all his other vital signs being stable! And you're right, maybe the teeth were a blessing in disguise. One of mine chewed his stitches THREE TIMES until my vet and I just gave up and let it gape till it healed.

Sounds like you're doing everything you can. Keep us posted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts