Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I had my first escape. It was little teto (she is probably second smallest) I walked down stairs to find teto near the boys cage. Luckily the boys are in a coast cage, so the she couldn't get in. I picked her up thinking I MIGHT forgot to put her back in after free roam but I knew it was pretty unlikely (i'm not THAT scatter-brained) so I decided to put her in and watch the cage for a while.

Well she had no qualms about squeezing out again RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!! uhhhh :roll: so because of her persistance and bravery I knew I would have to put hardware cloth on the cage. It was too late to get any that night, so I set her up in one of the extra cages I had (I'm glad I had so many now). I felt pretty good about leaving the others in the FN because the rest of the youngins are homebodies and Penny is much larger than her kids so she couldn't squeeze through the bars. Feeling assured I went to bed.

I woke up to greet the girls. Teto was sleeping in her temp home and I went to the FN cage......1, 2, 3......Penny? "Dan come quick....I can't find Penny!" Well after searching anywhere I thought she would be, and sobbing while doing so, I took teto upstairs thinking that Penny might have tired to find us upstairs. There are a lot of bins and such that she could have hid behind, and if she was up there I thought teto would bring her out!!! We were up there for nearly an hour, and I was losing hope. Penny's fav. place in my old room was always under the bed. She even tried to carry her litter under there. She only managed to get one under there, and it gave me near heart failure but that's another story..............

I was feeling quite sad, I started to discuss our options.....getting a live trap, leaving out food/water and so on. Then I had asked my boyfriend why she ran away and if we'd ever see her again. He said that she didn't mean to run away and she's either hiding or she's somewhere that she can't find her way back........... My heart dropped onto the floor and the universe stepped on it when I heard that. I said, "So you think there's a chance we might not see Penny again?" I'm sure my innocence astounds at times but he said there is a small chance. I began to bawl! At this point teto was still exploring the floor, and she ran to the bathroom. I asked dan to get her, and midsentence I SCREAMED, "THERE SHE IS!!!" I shot up so fast and ran so quickly that poor Penny slid in place on the floor trying to escape the crazy woman! I think she thought she was in horrible trouble but I spoke softly after that, and she came out!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I took her for a nice walk after that, and then went to get hardware cloth straight away from Home Depot while Dan (boyfriend) rattie sat!

It was really quite an emotional morning, and I know there are members who have lost their ratties for days! My heart goes out to you! I don't know how I would function if she didn't come back in a few hours!!!

sooooooo I was going to post this in rat homes to give people additional FN info but it turned into an epic so i shall make this a separate post!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh my! Glad you found Penny!

I know just how you feel! I once lost a friend's rat (I was rat-sitting for her.) Darn critter had gotten out through a badly latched cage door...I eventually found her under a dresser, but I never want to go through that kind of stress again! 8O

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its one of the worst feelings ever...SO she was gone for an hour, thats not too too bad but it feels lke forever!

Wednesday night my girls got aout and i went all day not knowin where htye were. i almost broke down. it was terrifyin

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm so glad you got her back! It's awful not knowing where your rat is, or when/if you will ever find her again. I tore my room apart trying to find Coconut once, for a good hour, crying my eyes out the whole time because I was so sure I would never see her again.. or at least not before the cats found her :( Luckily, she was just hiding really really well in the cage - and I cried for another hour after that because I was so relieved and had been so scared.

Yay for happy endings! :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
My ratties never try to escape. Now my hamster, she was an escape artist!! LOL

She actually removed the lid of her cage once and I found her lonely on the stairs one morning!!

I felt so bad for her and she immediately jumped into my hand like "im sorry mommy" LOL!!

I was more impressed that she figured out how to get out than anything!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I once lost a friend's rat (I was rat-sitting for her.)
That would be a different world of stress!!! I'm glad that worked out for you I would NOT handle that well. Losing your own pet and being engulfed in sadness is hard enough but when you mix in all the other emotions with losing someone else's pet nuhh ahhh I would probably go into a coma from stress lol!

i believe our ratties enjoy giving us a bit of a scare. It's like they're saying "Now you'll think twice about giving me a second yogie when I make my cutsie face!"

:roll: then we are so happy to see them that they escape all trouble lol! It's hard to be mad at such cute faces though!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
btw everyone thanks for the happy thoughts! :) It's nice to know people can share in a happy ending like this, and really understand. When told to someone else their reply was "Oh good!" so matter of fact.........sigh they just don't understand!

Dan did really well though.....he remained very calm but after we had found her he called me in and said "I would have been really sad if we lost penny!" He had read a missing pet article for his job, and I could see he was misty eyed....... :) it's nice to know that he loves all the ratties even if he DOES have fav!

mmk i'm done :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts